How long do you hang on to your babies outgrown clothes?

My youngest is 2. I'm not ready to have any more babies any time soon, but I have a hard time getting rid of her clothes. I know the memories are more important than the clothes, but its hard to see them go. I could use the extra space though. Does anyone else have this problem?

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I used to! I needed the space also, so now, whenever my youngest grows out of his clothes, I give them to my nephew. Then I can still see the clothes being used! Takes the edge offgood

nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I like to keep one outfit from each year ages birth-4. I have the outfits they were brought home in, a Christmas outfit and so on. It is hard to let them go but see if you can find someone you know or a friend of a friend who can use them first. Se out the ones you REALLY love and put them in those vacuum seal bags. They go great in the bottom of drawers or under the bed.
    daina82

Answer by daina82 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I get them out the door asap. I dont have the room to keep them. Always hand clothing down though. I dont have the room b/c I am storing clothing that my daughter is too big to fit in just yet! My sister has a couple of girls that are a few years older so I am constantly getting hand me downs from her.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I just hung onto my son's clothes until I found out #2 was a girl and I had a garage sale, now I am overrun with clothes and will be very glad when garage sale time comes around.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• YES! I just can't let them go, yet (my kids are 5 & 3). My DH and I have been going back and forth with having a 3rd, so all the more reason for me to hang on to them. But now, we are almost to the decision that we are done and 2 kids are good for us. Still, it is hard to let go, especially of the clothes we bought for them (vs hand-me-downs). Currently, they are in boxes in our basement and man does it look like a mess there! *sigh*
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 7:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I put all of my son's clothes in storage bins marked with what size clothes are enclosed. I knew I was going to have more kids so i didn't get rid of anything. I don't want to re-buy anything if I don't have to. Now we have baby boy #2 on the way this summer and I'm very glad I already have him stocked with clothes.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 7:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I used to freecycle all of them from my youngest a few months after we got the new ones put away but we moved and freecycle is no more out here!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have a good amount of her special outfits (first outfit, coming home outfit, first christmas dress..etc) in storage, and i add some things to it now and then. But, thankfully, my best friend had a baby 9 months after my DD was born, and I was able to give her my DDs clothes, knowing that they would be going to my neice (thats what I call her, since we are like sisters). That has helped a lot. I see her in my DDs clothes, and I know they are getting good use out of them. And after my best friend, my other good friend had a DD, so then the clothes go to her! So i keep the special stuff, just for me, and give the rest to my friends.
    It is easier to give your clothes away if you see them being used. At least it helped me.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I keep special items or outfits and give everything else away on www.listia.com. It is a site where you can get free stuff. Its basically a free version of ebay.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 2:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2011