Do you think divorce is emotionally harder than "just breaking up"

i overheard a conversation today where the girl said she did not want to get married because "if it didn't work out it would be more devastating emotionally to get a divorce than to just break up"???? WHAT? Hello emotions are involved either way! Had she said "economically".....

I mean if a committment is there. The intent to be together not just "hook up" or "try it out"

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 6:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, I think it is. Because, It's very difficult and time consuming and financially draining to get divorced. All of which will lead to it being more difficult emotionally.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 6:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• think so, divorcing for some can mean they have failed at something very important cause marriage has always been known to be a lifetime commitment plus all that is built into a marriage is involved
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• well yes only for most occassions because a having a husband involves being more emotionally devoted than what having a boyfriend involves. but not always, sometimes the one you are dating is someone you practically feel married too since that's the direction it's headed...
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 6:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Just breaking up is emotionally stressful bc of the person. Divorce is not only breaking up with a person but with a forever concept, loss of a home, guilt of breaking up a family especially with children, loss of a standard of living in some cases. so yes I agree divorce has a stronger emotional bond to many things that is broken.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't know honestly having never been married myself. But if children are involved then no, I don't think there is a difference
    mommastewart81

Answer by mommastewart81 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• A divorce is harder because you have lived with the person, shared everything, while a break up might not be like that. It's the things you have to seperate with. You have to get your own place or watch him leave the bed you've slept in every night since the marriage, so in that way its harder..
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• As the other poster said, when children are involved it is just as hard. Also, if you've lived together and shared everything - it is exactly the same as divorce. Gay couples who can't marry by law have a devastating time in breaking up just the same as a married couple.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Ya. If you get married you envision you being with that person for the rest of your life! Just bein with someone is totally different to me.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011