What is cluster pumping?

I'm having supply issues what way can I pump to bring my milk in?

mommy2bee12-27

Asked by mommy2bee12-27 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• cluster pumping is when you are either pumping or nursing every 1.5 -2 hours. Pumping for a short time. You are mimicking a growth spurt. Also try eating oatmeal and fenugreek supplements.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i have been and everyother breast feeding supplement as well as a prescription of domperidone but one of my friends told me pump for an hour stop for and hour pump ten mins stop ten mins for an hour then wait and hour and then pump for an hour again but i have done it twice and its done nothing for me
    mommy2bee12-27

Comment by mommy2bee12-27 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Are you seeing a lactation consultant? Some people just don't pump well. Have you tried hand expressing?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• yes i have been to the LC twice a week and everythink i have done doesnt change how much he gets
    mommy2bee12-27

Comment by mommy2bee12-27 (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Pumping is not nearly as effective as nursing. What may be best for you is to spend some time at least a few days (2 weeks + is better) devoted to only you and baby. Hold baby skin to skin as much as possible. Nurse on demand and offer even when it isn't demanded. During this time you want to offer the breast every time baby as much as whimpers. Even if baby suckles than a minute and stops it will stimulate your breasts to want to produce milk, of course the longer and more often he nurses the better.

Also you need to RELAX you may be slowing your flow by stressing. Try mediatation, yoga, massage and relaxing baths. If dh/so is there take baby in the tub with you and nurse while you both relax. Finally if baby is having about 8 wet diapers in 24 hours, he's probably getting enough.

Hope that helps.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 2:04 AM on May. 24, 2011