My DFs dog marks everything.. will he try to pee on my baby?

he is a bad dog with no training or morals, he constantly pees in the house(we kennel him outside when we go anywhere now), but he has been acting out a lot more since i became pregnant and i am sooooo worried he will try to pee on or hurt my baby(due in oct)...
what should i do? my DF hates when i say anything bad about his dumbas* dog.... and im the one who has to clean up after him...
If he acts like this now, will he hate and try to harm my baby???
im FREAKING out!

jayme009

Asked by jayme009 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Pets

• Yes he MAY pee on your baby or your babies things ( among other bad behaviors) which is why everyone is stressing the training.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 9:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Is he neutered? If not do that. He sounds very much like an intact male to me, so this would be step one.

Second step, check him for a urinary tract infection.

Third, honestly, if you suddenly threw me in a crate and left me in the yard with no dinner...well....it would scare the crap out of me too.

What you need to do is get this dog adjusted to a kennel in small steps, preferably indoors. If he is neutered and checked for the UTI he might actually keep it dry too.

Last, put the dog on a leash with a person, when he is not in a kennel or confined area. And proceed to properly housetrain him by taking him out frequently and rewarding him when he does the behavior (pees outside) you are looking for. This dog needs training, supervision and consistency, there really is no short cut.

You won't want to hear it, but dogs have awfully good radar for people who dislike them, or for a hostile environment. Try to be more + !
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I am aware that time outs are a form of punishment but like I said if you do a time out it should not seem like a punishment to the dog because you would keep it positive. The crate should never be a negative thing for dogs. Also if he is peeing through the crate then you should get an enclosed crate instead that is the correct size. He has also not earned the right to have full access to the house if he is peeing all over the place so when you are can not watch him he should be in the crate. THis dog needs training otherwise nothing will change. You have been given some good advise by a couple of people on how to stop these things so that you won't have to worry about him peeing on the baby or anything else for that matter.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• that is gross and your friend needs to do something about that dog when you are around with your baby..
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• During the training process and while crated you can use belly bands. Google it.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 9:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• mm mom,.... I do and he does the same, but he dog barley responds... the last time(the worst sh*t i've EvEr seen) we actually crate him outside with no dinner overnight alone... the next day he jumped a barrier in the house when i was inside and my fiance was outside... i heard him so i jumped up and was able to stop him right before he started peeing.... i feel like we've tried everything for no positive response from the dog...
    jayme009

Comment by jayme009 (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Is this dog neutered? I am guessing that he is not. But regardless if he is having accidents in the house he needs to have restrictions placed on him. I would start treating him as though he was young pup and not let him have full run of the house. He should only be allowed in the areas where you are. If you can't watch him put him in the crate. If he is going in the crate then the crate is to big for him. He should only be able to stand up turn around and lay down. You should NEVER punish the dog for having an accident unless you catch them in the act. Also rubbing his nose in it does not teach him anything but maybe to hide when he has an accident. You can use the crate as a time out but NEVER a punishment. If you use it as a time out put him in the crate in a positive mannor no matter how mad you might be. Get him on a better schedule and I would get him into an obediance class asap.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• -yes hes neutered. -yes we crated him inside first(he would pee through the crate on the walls or anything around him)
    and... when we put him outside overnight it was because he tore up the whole house(managed to get into a container full of cat food, thrash cans, plants, even got into pantry and of course peed on everything he could) it was a LAST RESORT! we only did that one night anyway! and we DEFINENTLY did try the "time-out" method(which IS a form of punishment by the way)... we used bring him inside and when we would fall asleep, he would go into our dining room and kitchen and mark everything!(stove, plants, fish-tank stands, shairs, dryer, ect...) -the vet found on signs of a urinary problem and he STILL does this on anything my fiance or i bring into the house the sec we take our eyes off of him...............
    SO, will he try to do the same to our Baby??? that is and was my original question.
    jayme009

Comment by jayme009 (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• oh yeah im home with him and my dog(who is totally behaived and fully trained) ALL day, and i love animals just dont know if he will have a personal vendetta with our BABY!????
    jayme009

Comment by jayme009 (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Your right.
    I DO Thank You All for even taking the time to read my post.
    and Thank You All for your helpful answers.
    i appoligize for my tone, i am just at wits end.. i feel controlled by a dog... cornered even...
    -doggie downers didnt even help him(vet thought it might be an anxitiy)..
    -the dog is costing us way more than we ever expected &with a baby on the way its getting harder and harder to 'find' all this
    money(new crate, classes, doggie meds, vet appt's, new rugs, special cleaning supplies, ect)...
    -i personally trained(tricks and behavior) my 5 year-old black lab/mix and to this day have no problems with him..he even knows
    signs(no words necessary), even though he is also familliar with word commands...
    jayme009

Comment by jayme009 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2011