The truth about Breast-feeding, true?

A few questions...
1. Is true that is makes your boobs saggy and gross?
2. Can is REALLY help you lose weight?
3. Can I BF and Formula feed at the same time... like BF at home, Bottle when we go out? I dont want to pump.

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My boobs are not saggy and gross.
    It can help you lose weight if you eat healthy as well.
    Yes you can breast feed a formula feed if you want. But just so you know. I loved my breastpump and it was nice to not to have to spend any money on formula. However, I invested in a really great pump.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• 1. no
    2. no
    3. yes, I had to feed my daughter half formula / half breast. i didnt have enough breast milk. So first i had her onmy breast, and when they were "empty" she got a bottle of formula ;) But when you are full breastfeeding, then you probably need to pump it anyway, because the milk can clog up. This could give really bad infections/pain.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• 1. False
    2. True
    3. True
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• 1. pregnancy will make your boobs sag whether you breastfeed or not. Your breasts get bigger and filled with milk and when the milk is gone they go back to normal size. The larger size makes extra skin thus the sagging issues. You can do excercises to help keep breast looking good.

2. yes it helps you lose weight because you are expelling extra calories to feed the baby.

3. You can do both but when you breastfeed and miss a feeding you will leak and breasts will gorge causing pain and sometimes a fever and a trip to the ER. You will have to pump if you miss a feeding either way.

Answer by gemgem at 6:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• 1. No
    2. Yes!
    3. Yes, though it may be hard to be successful with this. You might want to give pumping a try before deciding for sure not to do it, it's probably not as bad/inconvenient as you're thinking! I don't like feeding my baby in public, so I ride in the backseat when my husband and I go anywhere with Baby and pump so I have milk to give him when we get there. It's working SO beautifully, I would never have believed it!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Well My boobs are actually alot bigger and tighter then before , and yeah it really can help you lose weight and I formula and breastfeed though i pump when i can
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 6:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• 1. Can't speak for others, but not in my case!
    2. Yes, your body burns more calories when you're lactating.
    3. Maybe- I tried that and it screwed up my milk supply, but it turned out that nursing in public is pretty discreet and actually more convenient than carrying formula and bottles and all that junk with you. But it depends on how often you nurse and all that. If you're talking about going out all day on a Saturday and not nursing at all, then no, it won't work. You'll be engorged and in pain and leaking everywhere if you try to do that. If you're talking about going to the grocery store or something for a couple of hours and you want to take a few ounces of formula to tide beby over till you can make it home, that would probably work.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 6:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• yes i suppose if your boobs grow a large emount durring pregnancy and after then you could end up with saggy boobs but typically its not the case they ususaly go back to normal just make sure you were a very supportive bra
    Yes it can help you loose weight if you excercise and have healthy eating habbits
    and yes you can formula feed but its a waiste of money when you have milk you can just pump i dont know why you wouldnt wana pump.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• 1. If your boobs are going to get saggy and gross, it will happen regardless of whether or not you breastfeed. And that doesn't happen to everyone.

2. Yes, breastfeeding takes a lot of calories. I had to wean at 15 months because I dropped down to 103 and was having fainting spells.

3. You can certainly give it a shot. It depends on your baby and how good your milk supply is.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 7:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It does help your stomach get back to normal size. When your baby feeds it makes your uterus contract which helps it shrink back to normal. This isn't really losing weight but it does make you feel good when your stomach is going down!
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 8:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2008