Is it true that when a woman gets pregnant, a breastfeeding child wont want to anymore?

I heard that when a woman gets pregnant while breastfeeding her milk taste different and a child that breastfeeds while "wean" themselves.

asholan_07

Asked by asholan_07 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have a friend who breastfed throughout her whole pregnancy and tandem breastfed after the second baby was born. My first weaned at 18 mths when I got pregnant with my second and my second has not fully weaned at almost 32 mths even though my supply disappeared in the beginning of my second trimester and I am now 32+ weeks pregnant with #3.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 9:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Not neccessarily true. it does happen that way sometimes but not always so, don't count on it.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• The milk may change flavor, but plenty of pregnant women are still able to breastfeed successfully.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My son didn't lose any desire to nurse after I got pregnant, however being pregnant had a negative affect on my milk supply, my son started losing weight and I had to supplement.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My goal was to wean one before the other was born, we bareley made it!!! So, not true for me.
    KeriSparks

Answer by KeriSparks at 6:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It wasn't for me, at least not unti lI hit the 2nd trimester. My supply seemed to drop and my daughter also lost interest. I know some women who've breastfed for almost an entire pregnancy and some who's children refused to nurse early on in the pregnancy.
    esd921

Answer by esd921 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2008