At what age is it appropriate to dye your daughters hair?

My daughter came home from school today telling me she wants blonde streaks in her brown hair. Keep in mind she is 7 in and in first grade. I told her *maybe* when she is in middle school. What do you think?

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 7:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Definitely not before middle school, although I know there are moms who will disagree. Do you want her to start internalizing the message that appearance is everything? Instead, reinforce that her hair is lovely as it is and that changing hair color is something that older girls get to do, not 7 yos. Good luck!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't see the harm in it if they are the temp. ones without chemicals. I let my son thats almost 5 wear those hair gels that wash out that are blue & red whenever he isn't going to school. My SO dyed his hair black & I dyed half of my hair black just recently & my son wanted black... I went to Sally's Beauty Supply & bought some black hair dye that washes out & has no chemicals in it. Harmless & makes him happy :) Tell her to try the temp stuff & make sure she likes it and just keep doing it for awhile. lol Even if she did do the real stuff, honestly, in the long run it isn't going to cause any harm. Its not forever. Hair does grow. Just do the temp to make sure she likes it first. Maybe suggest a new hair cut instead ? Maybe she just wants a change ??
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i think you are right... 7 is way to young... i could understand wash out dye that does no damge but that's not what she wants... i wasn't able to dye my hair for the first time till i was 13... but you know what they do sell clip on hair... just tell her it will ruin her beautiful hair.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It will ruin her hair to highlight it with actual dye at this age. I think its OK at around 16? I can't remember for sure. But if you have a Hot Topic or something similar nearby, they have dye that is OK to put in kids' hair (kinda similar to Halloween dye). It is a wash-out type thing, however.

I also heard using Kool-Aid is a good way...guess you could use lemon?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes, not before middle school or even high school. IMO
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Highlights micht be okay in 8th or 10th grade.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• maybe in middle school
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Middle School for sure here.
    For young kids Id be OK with doing crazy colors that wash out for fun over the weekend or something (or boys getting a mohawk), but I think elementary is too young for fake nails. hair coloring & multiple piercing.

Psh.. Im 27 & only get my hair done MAYBE 2x a year if Im feeling extra special (same with eyebrow way) & never get my nails done! Sorry but DD will have to make her own $$ if she plans on being high-maintenance! LOL
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't know, but they sell colored gels for fun.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Put lemon juice in her hair when she's going to be playing outside. It will lighten the hair a little bit naturally (they also sell spray in stuff, Sun-In maybe?) and shouldn't do any damage. I have naturally blond hair, but I used lemon juice or that stuff (the lightening ingredient in whatever it's called is lemon juice, or used to be) in the summer to turn it lighter in streaks and it worked. It's not like bleach blond, but it does subtly lighten it. Otherwise, I would suggest clip ins or the the temporary, Halloween type stuff others have suggested. Clips are cool, IMO, because they also make them in funky colors and she can put them in and take them out whenever she wants to. 7 is too young for real highlights, but I think around 13 or 14 is ok if she still wants it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011