how do you get your child to do their school work on their own

my son is 15 has been home schooled most of his life and still wants my full attention when doing his work. We have 5 other children

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I think that if you are home schooling all of your children and if he is the oldest then I would let him know he has to try and do it on his own. I understand that he is used to you always being there, but at some point you will not be.

I would try having do his homework in a different room and then have him bring it to you for you to check. I had to tell my son that I would not help him anymore and if he did not finish it then he had to deal with the consequences. He is in public school and if they do not do their homework then they have to stay in at recess and finish it. Maybe you could come up with something like that.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Well since hes homeschooled hes used to you being there and explaining it to him. I just recently started homeschooling my son who is 16 due to hsi mental illness. He also wont do his work on his own without my help. I dont know why? When he was in school he did it on his own.

Answer by gemgem at 6:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Well, i think he is used to it. And maybe he just cant finish it by himself. If he needs help, then its your responsibility to help him.

"home schooled"... does that mean you have been his teacher for the past 10yrs?! Thats probably why he wants -your- full -attention- still. You started it, you finish it.

^^^^ is isnt a mean answer. so pls dont get me wrong. but there isnt much you can do about it. if he needs your help and attention to finish his school works, then you have to do it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I think you should be thrilled that at his age he wants to even spend time with you. Most guys at that age don't want to be bothered with parents

Answer by admckenzie at 7:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2008