My 14 yr old was kicking my 9 yr old in the back for "fun"

They were both laughing but it was the type of "game that can turn ugly really quick. I thought it was a gross game, kicking somebody in the back, so I sent them both to their rooms.

Eww, I just don't know what I should have done. It just looked like such a horrible "game".

Would you have done anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• What you did was great. Is dad around? If not, is there an uncle or a friend who is big and strong? Have them sit down with your kids and have a talk with them about true power and respecting someone's personal space . . .especially someone who is smaller. Sometimes boys need that extra reinforcement . . . (I am assuming your 14 yr old is a boy . . . .)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Not a good game. Sit them down & explain to them why they can't do that kinda stuff.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think you did good, too. I never had brothers and I only have one dd but I'm guessing this sort of rough housing is normal in boys at least to a degree, but I think you knew it had gone too far or was heading that way and you were right to end it and let them cool their heels. Also, there is a big difference between 9 and 14. Your older son needs to realize that he could really cause some damage to his brother without really intending to simply because he is bigger and stronger. And no doubt his younger brother looks up to him so he needs to be the one to set a good example.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Absolutely! It can not be allowed. Go talk to them both and tell them your reasons why it can not continue. You might even look up spine injuries online for ammunition
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• good job mom... that isn't a nice game to play even if they thought it was funny.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• ImaginationMama, daddy is at work right now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You did awesome by addressing it and setting a limit . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Thank you. I thought I had overreacted.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I would be beating their butts because it was "fun" kids really don't understand how stupid those kind of games are! I say take them into the hospital and see if you can talk to a nurse about back problems and can be caused by their "game".

That really is scary!
    Anonymous