My 18 month old refuses to eat just about everything, what do i do to get her to eat

picky eaters
refuses to try foods

ilovemaddie07

Asked by ilovemaddie07 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if she doesnt eat what you cooked, then she wont get anything at all.

i dont know how you raised your child so far, but you need to start letting them try everything as early as possible. My daughter is eating almost everything. There are a few things she doesnt like, but she tried them at least. If she just doesnt like the taste then i wont make her eat it. That would be totally wrong.

But when i know that she usually eats something and now tries to be picky or something, then she will go to bed without food. She does that once, maybe twice, and then she knows that she has to eat. Because an empty belly isnt fun. lol
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Does it seem to be certain textures that she likes or dislikes? Sometimes it's a sensory disorder not pickiness. I know kids who will only eat soft things like purees and yogurt. With therapy they have made a lot of progress.

If it's just certain flavors she has a problem with, try hiding things. My 1 year old girl HATES veggies. She will spit out any veggie that touches her tounge. I started hiding them in different foods. I put pureed carrots in her soup or spaghetti sauce. Or I make carrot cake with pureed carrots and pumpkin or squash. She hated meat too. I finally found that she will eat chicken and applesauce mixed together.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• If your child is refusing to try foods then leave her be. She will eat eventually. Just keep offering it to her.

My son is 1 coming on to 13 months and is predominantly breastfed which is totally natural. I offer him fruits, greens and he will eat them when he wants - some days he wants to share with me a lot and some days hes not interested.

I just keep offering and sometimes when I dont he comes up to me and steals my banana or apple or green salad...he actually loves sitting ripping apart a romaine lettuce and feeding on it :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• she will eat waffles, pancakes, toast, bananas, strawberries, apples, watermelon, and tomato based pastas, but only the gerber entree pastas, if I make spaghetti she won't eat, she also won't eat the meatballs that are in the entrees. She will eat PB & J if her friend is eating it, but if I make i for her when it's just us, she will only play with it, same goes for grilled cheese.
    ilovemaddie07

Answer by ilovemaddie07 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• If she gets hungry enough she'll eat anything you put in front of her. Dont let this go on for too long cuz it will only get worse as she gets older. I had a neice who was a picky eater when she was a baby and my sister gave into her and she's now 8 and still wont eat anything but mac n cheese and hotdogs
    SarahShirey

Answer by SarahShirey at 11:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My 16 month old is doing the same thing. So we see a feeding specialist DO NOT stop feeding the child until she gets hungry. We are incouraged my the Childrens Hospital feeding clinic specialist to continue baby foods and baby cereals and slowly try new foods. Atleast 10 times. This is still a struggle for us. It appears to be a texture thing with him so they will be desenseitizing his tounge. See a specialist.
    People should really not give their opinion unless they know what they are talking about previous answers are really unsafe and not good for a child with this problem. Know what you are talking about before you give an opinion. A child in this situation will not eat if he gets to hungry trust me. And of course you will be cursed with a picky eater for life!!!!!!
    tabarismom

Answer by tabarismom at 11:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2008