Soooo....my DS had to hear it AGAIN

Yup, he was told by another classmate that he will burn in hell for not believing.

My DS said he didn't say anything mean about those that do believe, just that he didn't believe in god.

WTF? Why is that ok? WHy do people teach their child to say such things? AND why don't they ensure the message gets across that it's not okay to speak to others like that? If you teach about hell, could you please also teach your kid some manners.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It's not OK IMO. One of the reasons I am removing my children from Catholic school. Only place so far my children have heard it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My daughter was told that she would stay short if she didn't pray to Jesus everyday. Well, my daughter told the little girl that she would be blown away in a windstorm if she didn't worship the elements like a good Wiccan does......
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Some of these ultra religious people dont know how to be polite in the least and have not taught their children to be nice. We had a kindergartner at our school bad mouthing another kindergartner for having two moms.

Anonymous

• I'm trying to understand how the end conclusion of "not being saved" results in hell went from being the tail end of the whole set of beliefs (for those who actually believe in hell) to the main point... How it went from the positive, "here I have a great joyful thing to share with you" and the whole being called to share in love and all that was replaced with "you'll burn in hell!"...Don't those who actually act like this not realize how much they're missing of the message, who hypocritical they're being? It was NEVER meant to be the whole "turn or burn" stuff, it was all about recognizing the humanity in others and helping them to realize it themselves, about building people up, not putting them down. This whole concept of sharing the message with such negativity is just something that confuses me, regardless of what one believes about hell (or converting others, since I don't believe in that either).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• IDK how old your son is; and no I'd not be happy if my child came home and told me that - but I'd tell my child to respond with; "I can't go somewhere I don't believe exists but thanks for worrying about me that's really nice of you" then smile as sweetly as possible and walk away from the little jerks! Should make them think for a bit!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I would be really pissed about that and having a talk with the school or something.
    02_Grey_Mustang

Answer by 02_Grey_Mustang at 8:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Did you teach your kid not to believe in god? Or did you have some influence in his decision did you introduce religion to him? Your right every one has their way of thinking? People that believe one type of beliefs are going to feel offended and it's their religion influence them so in other words they don't know any better.toddler tantrum

goodmama

Answer by goodmama at 8:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• for someone who believes in God, Heaven & Hell, what the other kid said to your son is very offensive. and you're right, Christians should not "damn" other people when ultimately the only person who will decide that is God. however, since you're family doesn't believe in such places, i don't understand what was offensive to you? you don't believe Hell exists, neither does your son, so what the kid said is basically meaningless.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• WHAT? I went to Catholic school from K-BSN degree My husband and kids went to Catholic schools from K-12, None of us has ever mumbled any such BS to anyone, not that we're overly religious or fundamentalist by any stretch of the imagination. Some people have lost the ability to reason or use logic-too bad they pass such craziness on to their children.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• OP, do you live in the biblebelt? This just craziness.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011