A few questions about losing pregnancy weight!

How much did you gain while pregnant?

Did you breastfeed and/or exercise the first 2 months after delivering?

How much weight did you lose after the first 2 months?

My answers are:

1. 35lbs (keep in mind I'm still pregnant, 37.3 weeks)

2. I plan on exercising and breastfeeding the first 2 months which is what I did with my son before

3. I'm hoping to lose 35lbs the first 2 months (I lost 30lbs at my 6wk check up with my first)

The only difference is with THIS pregnancy I started off 20lbs heavier than I wanted to be. :/ I'm hoping that since I had to stop breastfeeding at about 2 1/2 months with my son last time, that I'll keep losing weight this time with breastfeeding to 6 months. I'm wondering if it's even possible to lose 50+ pounds in 6 months?

ours

Asked by ours at 8:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I gained between 12-22 lbs with all 5 of my pregnancies
    I did breastfeed but did not exercise within the first 2 months
    I always lost all the weight within 2 weeks and was usually under my pre pregnancy weight at 2 months. I started out between 110-120 lbs each time.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You remind me of my momma! She gained hardly anything with me and the daughter she had before me and lost all of it plus some right away. Lucky duck! :]
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• 1. With #1, I gained 40 lbs. by the end

2. I breastfed elusively, on-demand (6 month min)

3. I had lost more than I gained by the 6 month check up with my midwife...but I didn't weigh myself before that.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 8:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• #1- I gained about 12 lbs, but I was significantly overweight to begin with. I ended up GAINING 30 lbs in the time following pregnancy.
    #2- I EBFed for 18 1/2 months. I was back to walking my 4 mile walks about 2 weeks post-partum (though not at my usual pace at first).
    #3- I didn't lose the weight until my son was 2. He's 2 1/2 now, and I've been working on losing weight. I'm currently about 20 lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight.

Don't expect too much from yourself with your weight loss right away. Sometimes the body holds onto fat while you're breastfeeding for the sake of making sure your baby gets enough milk. Some women are just designed that way, and there isn't a correlation between that and starting weight. I think trying to lose 50 lbs in 6 months, especially while breastfeeding, can be dangerous. For now, just try to make healthy choices, take care of yourself, watch portions, and exercise. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• oh...I did not exercising at all...but, carrying a baby around and recovering from a major body change should be enough. I can't see ever exercising in the first 6 months..maybe yoga!
    (Also...EBF means NOTHING ELSE...we started solids at 6 months, so then it was breast milk and food...if you want to be technical...but we are just weaning now at age 3)

boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• With baby #1
    Gained- 24 lbs.
    Breastfed exclusively for 17 months with no dieting or exercise.
    Was back in my regular clothes the same week and lost an additional 15 lbs. in the first couple of months without trying.

I am pregnant with baby#2 and am 20 weeks pregnant and have gained 11 pounds so far. I don't think I will be as lucky this time but I am going to try to exercise and eat better along with breastfeeding.
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 7:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2011