Mom vs mommy

My 4 year old started calling me "mom" instead of "mommy."....and "dad" instead "daddy'........LOL I'm not sure I like this "milestone".....:)  I'm trying not to react to it .....hoping it will pass.....:) I know he's growing up and all......but I'm not ready for "mom" yet :))

MommyOK

Asked by MommyOK at 8:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I love it. Just don't let him call you "Old Lady"
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Lol...that is too cute...mine still calls me mommy so I don't think I ever even thought about when that would be shortened to mom....I probably wont like it either

p.s your post put a smile on my face when I desperatly needed it
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• LOL My daughter started that at 3.5 with me, but not her Dad. He's still Daddy. I was just like :(
    VioletPlacebo

Answer by VioletPlacebo at 8:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Lucky, I am Mother now.. hate it! I miss being Mom or Mommy!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Just remember, whether you're mom, mommy, (or, as the teen years get there, sometimes you'll be "mother" - said with a sigh and a put upon attitude) - no matter what name they call you, the love you have for him and he has for you is still the same :-)

I know that I've been mama, mommy, mom, "momster" (lol - for a short time, not because it rhymes with monster, but because when my dd was about 8 she thought it "sounded cool"), back to mom, and occasionally mother. My dh has been dada, daddy, dad, back to daddy, and now is "poppi".

And those are just the names with our dd - our ds has another whole list he went through! But we're still who they come to when they're upset, scared, sick, need advice, etc. (And they're 18 and 17 and in high school). Just go with it and enjoy the ride :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• yeah, I know I'm mom now too. but they called me mommy till the age of 7. mom came at age 8.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I was never mommy, always momma.. I never really thought about how i would feel if I just got "mom" probably sad..
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Oh thank goodness my 9 y/o still calls me mommy. He did call me mom for a while and my hubby laughed cause it hurt my feelings. But, he went back to mommy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i don't care either way lol. my sister gets upset when her kids call her mom instead of mommy. i don't see what the big deal is
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Wow, this has never occurred to me till you brought it up! My younger two (4 and 5) still call me mommy on occasion, but they're switching to calling me mom. Of course, I still refer to myself as mommy, so that may be what is extending that time.

PS I still call my mom mommy every now and then.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011