Would you be willing to convert to your fiance's religion so you can get married ?

bible studysome churches do not marry 2 people of different faiths...

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I converted to Catholicism, I was southern baptist, when I married my husband. I had quite a few one on one meetings with the priest at our local church before I made a decsion though. Don't just say yes I'll do it or no I won't. Research it, learn what you can so you can make a good informed choice.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No. We would need to be married somewhere that accepts us both as we are. If my fiance didn't agree with this, I'd probably question whether he was the right choice and whether he'd respect me and my choices too. It's one thing to convert because it feels right to you or doesn't seem drastically different than your own religion, but to be expected to do so just to have a ceremony or for the marriage to be accepted is not right IMHO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No nor would I expect him to convert just for me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• no
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Nope. I'm not joining a religion for that.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No. that just seems wrong and I don't think I would marry someone that would require me to change religions (or lie about having a religion since I'm an atheist) to be with them or so they can get married in a certain church.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No. If you love each other enough to get married, you should love each other enough to respect the differences in your faith. If one (or both) of your faiths won't marry you because you are of different faiths, then I think it would be time to consider getting married not in the church (and if you could live with the church not acknowledging, on a spiritual level, the marriage).

Also, there's the whole issue of hypocrisy. I'm NOT calling you a hypocrite or anything, but look at it like this - why would any faith that truly had good intentions want someone to convert to their faith, NOT because they REALLY believe what that faith teaches, but because they love someone who does believe it?

For example (and yes, I know these are both Christian faiths, but still...) - My dh is Lutheran. I am Non Denominational Charismatic Christian (lol - basically, it's a non denominational "grass roots" sort of church)

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• cont

There are things we don't agree about as far as faith goes, such as he believes in baptism of babies, and I do not. However, we both respect how the other feels, and we have incorporated both of our faiths in how we have raised our kids. (Such as they were both baptized as babies, and I just viewed it as a blessing and dedication, and they were given the choice to be baptized again full immersion when they were older and my dh just viewed it as a different form of confirmation with water involved...)

We respect the differences and we love and respect each other, but neither of us would expect the other to give up something as important to them as their faith, and neither of us wants to disrespect the other ones faith by converting "on paper" but not in our hearts to what the other believes.

Btw, we've been together over 19 yrs, married almost 19 yrs, and have 2 teens, and this has worked for us, so... :-)

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If I didn't believe in the religion he practiced, then no.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i myself would never do that to my husband if we were religious ppl...
    lynnlang

Answer by lynnlang at 9:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2011