My son won't eat!

My boy is 14 months old and hardly ever eats! He will have a piece of toast for breakfast and he loooooves oranges. He also likes yogurt (sometimes). He will eat snacks like some animal crackers, gummies, etc. But he REFUSES to eat any real meals. He turns his head and starts crying until we take him out of his chair. I don't know what to do! How can I have a healthy boy if he won't eat his meals? Has anyone else had this problem with their little one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes! When my DD was that age she would not eat any meat. She ate lots of fruits and veggies, but hardly any meat. DOes he like cheese? Sometimes that's a good substitute for meat. Maybe give him some cheese or mac and cheese and slip in hot dog slices. Or get the shaped chicken nuggets at the store. Spaghetti is always fun to eat. Try to think of kid-friendly food that you think he might like.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I'm having that problem with my daughter and she's 23 months it's that are going through a growth sprut that they dont wanna eat as much .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My daughter did the same and still does on occasion (she is 6) You can't force them to eat. I found that as long as I don't give to many snacks during the day that she would eat dinner better than having those one or two snacks. I know it seems cruel to not let your children have a snack but sometimes it is better for them to eat their dinner than a snack 2 hours earlier. I offer her her favorite snack after she has completed her meal rather it be lunch or dinner.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 8:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My DS was like that around this age as well. He really liked to eat veggies...mostly broccoli and green beans. And TONS of fruit. He still loves veggies & fruit, but at least he will eat meat now. He used to never eat meat. His protein came from yogurt and peanut butter. The only meat he would eat would be lunch meat (pretty much just ham). He goes through phases on what he prefers to eat. Just keep offering different things & making sure get does get proper nutrition through that variety.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• my son does the same thing just don't give them the choice... they will cry it out but if they are hungry they will eat it.
    lynnlang

Answer by lynnlang at 8:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Make every choice healthy. No cookies or gummies. He will not starve. Stay calm and do not make it a battle. And let him pick among healthy choices offered everyday. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• How much & what is he drinking between meals? Cut off all snacks & fluids at least an hour, if not 2, before meals, and he'll be hungry.
    Anonymous