What's your opinion of moving grave sites to put up a new structure?

I've been reading a story about a town that is in a big debate about this issue. Thoughts I'd check here, because it's a question I don't remember even seeing posted.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 8:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's wrong! One's final resting place should be preserved.

That, and maybe I watched "Poltergeist" one too many times!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• no! i don't know what else to say. it just feels wrong to me....
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 8:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It's very disrespectful to move someone's grave site. There has to be other land that can be used instead.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I wish they wouldn't, the bodies were put there to be a FINAL resting place..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think it's wrong to move them--whether they're recent or historical sites. The only thing I can think of off hand as a legitimate reason to move them would be concern over ground erosion in an area. Years ago, I actually called and wrote letters protesting a company's decision to build on a Native American burial ground. I hope if it's an historic site and they are allowed to move it that they handle the archaeological excavation properly. If it's just for a building, I think they should find another location.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Completely wrong and selfish (not to mention disrespectful) to move graves for a new building! Go find a different place to build your building, not over where people have been laid to rest!

But, I guess, if they could get permission from EVERY SINGLE PERSON'S family members (yes, ALL of them-not extended though, just bros/sises/parents/spouse(s)/children, and if ONE PERSON said no, that was it), then I guess it wouldn't be so bad.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Hope they like a haunted house.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 8:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Hell NO! You do not touch someones final resting place!

Loved Poltergist by the way.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Creepy. A graveyard use to be where my parents house/neighborhood is. Where I grew up. I don't know if our house was on top of the former gravesite, but there is a small shopping center at the end of the street and I know that was the main cemetery. I just don't know how big it was, how much land it took up. But, if you think about it, how many people have died in this world since the beginning of time? Chances are, we are all living on top of a dead person.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Happens all of the time, and is a very regulated process.

For a really interesting story about graveyards and building over them, look up the slave burials in New York. It was in the 90's I think and they were clearing ground for a new government building and exposed about 400 burials. Took years to straighten that one out.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011