How do you counteract the mothers acts in your step children when they visit her?

I have two step sons ages 6 and 8. Anytime they go visit their mother (she is suppose to see them every other week but its more like once a month). They worship the ground she walks on. I don't want to make myself look bad in their eyes when I contradict what she tells them. I am not sure how to approach the subject and get them to understand that their mother has no idea what she is talking about and that listening to her will get them in trouble. I don't wanna take her place in their heart but they are so young and impressionable I don't want them to learn bad things from her.

firepony

Asked by firepony at 8:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• what kinds of bad things is she teaching them?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• BUMP!

KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• They come home saying that mom lets them eat when they want, climb on the furniture, run thru the house, and basically she doesn't care what they do. My youngest came home using the middle finger saying that his moms husband told him he can do that. And once they were told that they don't have to listen to me. Its so frustrating cause I know its not their fault. My husband doesn't have custody of them because she is a good mom.
    firepony

Comment by firepony (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have two stepsons and when they come home from their moms they are very quite. so we ask what they did and try to seem happy that their mom is doing something with them. If we do not like it we tell them that it is not the right thing to do and we show them the correct way. at least they can see we are on the same page.
    susan808

Answer by susan808 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011