Help with my puppy?

My puppy is 5 months old. (he will be getting fixed in May) But he has started being more agressive in his play. Not biting and meaning to hurt, but biting, but it still hurts, you know what I mean, i don;'t want him to. We've always told him "be nice" as his comand when he acted like that, lately he listens "sometimes" so when he doesn't listen I smack his butt and put him in the basment till he calms down. Any suggestions? Thanks : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Pets

• Sounds to me like you are doing really well. Hopefully getting him fixed will help.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I take my hand and cup around their mouth ( and hold it shut) and say No bite ! It takes awhile to get them to stop. We have a 6 month old and are dealing with the same thing. I think it is just something natural they do with their packmates and they have to be reconditioned to not do it to humans. I also have a 4 month old female. When they play they are constantly biting each other in this playful manner. Aren't puppies fun. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Hitting him will not fix this. When he puts his mouth on you at all even when it does not hurt say "Ouch". This is simaler to when dogs yelp during play it tells the other dog not to bite so hard. He shouold back off when you do this. He will more then likely come back but you should notice that his mouth is softer. If you are consistant with this he will learn to be gentle and eventually will stop putting his mouth on you at all.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Our 12 week old puppy Kismet is a nipper, too. I agree that hitting him will not help. We stand up, put our hands up like a stop sign and say, "Kismet, NO!" In a very authorative tone. It usually works, lol, but he's not too happy about it.
    LoraGardiner

Answer by LoraGardiner at 10:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I agree with Lora and make sure to always be firm when giving commands.

Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 5:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• DO NOT hit your dog. That teaches fear, aggression and you don't want him to be afraid of you. Also, locking him in the basement away from his family is detrimental too.

When he bites you, yelp at him. It is exactly what his siblings would do to him if he got too rambunctious with them. Putting your hands up isn't also the wrong way to teach him not to bite. He thinks your playing because that is, again, what his siblings would do to him. Playing for pups is paws up, bum in the air, tails wagging....

If the yelping doesn't work, then get up and ignore him. Being ignored by his family is one of the worst punishments without resorting to smacking him and locking him in the basement.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• He is teething,all normal behavior and they do outgrow it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2011