My 18 month old is suddenly...whiney ALL THE TIME!

I've been extremely blessed with a very even tempered and well behaved little girl. She's been sleeping through the night since about 4-5 weeks old, she's always minded well, she's just a very good baby. The past week and a half or so however she's been throwing tantrums! She screams and bangs her head against stuff and she won't listen to me at all and any time she doesn't get her way she whines and whines and whines some more or throws a tantrum and about 90% of the day she is whining for no reason! I took her to the doctor yesterday to make sure she's not sick or something and he said her lungs are clear and she looks great. I don't know what's wrong with her but I'm feeling so bad :( I feel like I've done something wrong or like she's unhappy and I'm worried! What could be going on with her? Anything I can do for her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its a phase she is going through. It doesn't get better either. I have a 8 year old and a 7 year old both are girls and they still go through that whiney stage. Sometimes its because they aren't getting enough sleep or too much. She will be okay. For my two girls at that stage I always try and get their attention on something else.
    CherBear2529

Answer by CherBear2529 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Mama, she is learning the wonders of defiance and free will! I have an 18 month old son and he is going through the same stuff. It is quite a trying time in our household!!! :)
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You have hit the terrible two's. Welcome. It doesn't get better. I wish I had good advice--get ear plugs LOL. Just stand your ground and be consistent.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• it's just a phase. keep in mind that 1yo is not too young for time out. if she is not listening or being bad then 1 min. time out. if she is throwing a tantrum, just ignore her. it will lose it's magic if there is no audience. just be patient....every kid has a phase like this and it will pass pretty quickly if you stand your ground. gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011