My poor daisies!

My gerber daisies (the ones I posted a zillion questions about, if anyone remembers) are looking mighty...droopy today! I've been watering them a couple of times a week, just enough (at least I thought so) and they've been sitting in the sunniest part of my apartment (which is only sunny in the morning). Why are they dying? Am I doing something wrong? Can I turn this around? I've only had them for a month and I want to keep them around as long as I can - this is turning me off of putting flowers on the deck this summer, if these die!
Help!

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• ok.....you need a saucer (dish underneath) if you don't take them to the sink to water them everytime. i always have a saucer under there AND i take them to the sink to water them thoroughly once the dirt is dry. if the flowers are just wilting and look kind of ratty, they are probably just spent. you can cut them off to promote more flowers. cut them off as close to the bottom as you can. you will probably see some buds down there waiting to come up. the flower buds kind of look like buttons....round and green. they will come up sooner if you cut off the spent flowers.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The SAME thing happened to my gerber daises that I planted a month ago -- they started lookind so droopy -- so I SATURATED then with water and they picked right up! I also increased how many times per week I water them (from 3 to 5) and the length of time I water them. I have a lot of moles an gophers here, and I was told that the tunnels may be beneath the flower bed -- which makes the flowers dry out quicker! UGH -- I detest those pests!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• well.....are you waiting until the dirt is dry to water them? if not you are killing them with kindness as my mom would have said lol. also....do you mean the leaves are droopy or just the flower itself? the flower will wilt and you can cut it off for another flower (or more) to come once the one that is there starts to die.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Can I still "saturate them with water", as you put it, if I don't have a dish underneath? Then again, I work at Lowe's and I can just get a dish at work next time I'm there... of course pay day isn't until Friday. :/
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The flowers are wilting. Do you mean I can cut the wilty ones off and new ones will grow in their place? If I do that, where do I cut?
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You are supposed to cut just above the green leaves -- and yes, when I do that, several others sprout up -- not from that same stem though!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Another question... if I cut off the droopy ones (because now I am noticing that there are some perkier ones coming up underneath) can I put them in water and keep them a little longer?
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The only gerbers I had, did not do well either. No advice here.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i mean it wouldn't hurt to try lol. it probably won't last long though, but it might be pretty for a day or so
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I put mine in a small vase and they did perk up a little -- for a few days! The plants I started off with only one flower -- now have 3 to 5 per plant! Good luck with yours!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011