To parents with more than 1 child....

do you feel closer to one child more than the other? If so, do you feel guilty? Is it obvious?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I do, at different times I feel closer to one over the others. It changes. No, I don't feel bad because I know it will change, and I will feel closer to another one later. But, I also have a different relationship with each one, too. I don't have a favorite child though. I think that's important.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I feel closer to my children in different ways. My oldest daughter is just like me, my youngest daughter is the way I wish I had been (so open and friendly), my oldest son is a bookworm (which so am I) and my youngest son is well sweet in his own way. I love them all the same but in different ways if that makes since. I wouldn't trade one of them off for a better version. They are my life and I learn something new from each of them everyday.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 9:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Nah, I feel close to both of them. They are 3 years apart so my oldest i feel close to because she is at that age where she wants to do everything I do and my youngest is still my cuddle buddy.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I feel close to both!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I feel close to both for different reasons. One is my rock and one is my softie.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Each one is my favorite for different reasons. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• no.....i will readily admit that my middle child is a big challenge for me bc we have completely different personalities. the other two are more easy going, so that makes me close to them. since the middle one is such a challenge i have to spend extra time with him and that makes me close with him. i'm close to all of them but in different ways. i don't believe in playing favorites
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I love all my children equally but the only difference is their personalities. I have different ways of showing my love for each. Just like they have different ways of showing their love for me. The thing I like the most is that they tell me they love me at spontaneous times and I do the same.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I agree that it's different, but ultimately equal. My son has my temperament. I can tell when he'll be upset. And he's so fun, so smart, plays with numbers like his parents, learning to read, wihch I love.... my daughter is quiet and doesn't get in trouble, like me she loves to observe. She is also good with people and clothes and such, which I admire, and so smart- but quietly. My youngest doesn't let gender/age roles define her, and she loves to see how things work, ideally while climbing on something and taking something else apart. Part of me screams, and part says "go, you!". And she is so happy!

I feel close to them all in turns, and there is always at least one who is driving me nuts, but I love them all equally. I think they may perceive favorites though. The youngest, who gets in the most trouble, of coruse gets a lot of attention.

As an only child, I try to be equal, but I don't really know what will set them off.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Oh and no I don't feel bad and yes it's obvious.  My 2nd child recently went through some bad feelings that she was having a hard time dealing with.  To my sister, it looked like I was favoring her and being harder on my son.  That's not true.  I reconized what was going on with my 2nd born and acted accordingly.  Those bad feelings faded and now we're back to normal.  My son is a bit more hyperactive which I love and my youngest, well, she's the baby for now.  We go through fazes where one needs more attention then the other and where I feel like I'm bonding with one more then the other but like Raine stated, no need to worry, it changes often and no one is ever excluded.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011