When people call their SO "lover" ...

That bugs me so much when they do it constantly...

Maybe if it is every once in awhile it is fine, maybe even cute.... but every other word is annoying !!!

I work with a girl who refers to her boyfriend / fiance / baby daddy / living partner as lover... that is the only thing she calls him -- we have worked together for over a year and i even know what she has for breakfast most days but I just now found out his real name is Ryan....

Even when talking to our boss ( who isnt real friendly) ... she called him her lover ... " my lover is picking up the kids, so I can stay a little longer" ...

gag me...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Just for Fun

• reminds me of that SNL skit
    creeps me out!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I only call my other half my lover to his face and it is done sweetly. "Come here lover" kinda thing.. that would be odd
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• To me it sounds like it's a purely sexual relationship - not something to be taken seriously. I wouldn't be throwing that term around to anyone for fear of looking like a whore. It just sounds like she's talking about a long term booty call.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I would not like that either- my husband use to refers to me as his wife when were newly weds, but most of the time when speaking to other people we use each other names
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• no one I know does this
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Why does this bother you ?? If she calls him her lover, what is it to you ? lol that's silly to let get under your skin. I say quit talking to her if it bugs you that much. Good Luck, Hun. Hope you can get passed this!!
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• when people say lover I usually think booty call or a same sex relationship. I used to live with 4 gay men and they usually refered to their lovers as lovers. ( don't worry that wasn't meant to be mean in anyway, I'm like the Grace of Will and Grace lol)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Hahah, the only time I ever call my other half 'lover' is when I want him to change a diaper. "Here's a fresh one for you, lover" =D
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• That is just so skeevy. She is allowed to be grossed out by it. Just because she is venting, doesn't mean she is going to treat her badly.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I do not think I would be using that term in front of my kids.
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2011