What is going on with my little booger? :(

the night before last she woke up crying 3 times. i finally brought her downstairs and gave her some applejuice incase she was constipated, and a bit of tylenol because shes growing in a molar. then yesterday her eye started getting crusty gunk in it, and she slept ok last night but today the gunk was gooey. she was just seen last week for her 15 month checkup, she had a runny nose then too but the doc told me it was just teething. she really didn't even bother to take a good look. my mommy intuition told me it wasn't just teething and clearly i was right. her bedtime is 7pm and she always sleeps til 7:30 am, tonight she woke up again crying around 9. i brought her down and she had a low-grade fever of 99.8. she has a little cough, nose constantly running and the eye gunk. her appetite is a little off. she is back in bed now but i have a feeling the night is not over and she will probably end up between me and daddy again tonight. is this likely a virus, and the gunk is just cross "contamination" from her rubbing her nose then her eyes, or is it some kind of infection? the gunk in her eyes is green and i know that is never a good sign. im calling the doctor tomorrow but i sure hope we make it thru the night!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Sounds like just a cold but pink eye is "a cold in the eye" and is very contagious. So I would go with your gut and call the dr.'s because they'll probably want to make sure she doesn't have pink eye. If she does it's just antibiotics and it's gone, if she doesn't then they won't be able to help you really because there's no cure for the common cold. When teething your immune system is naturally down so it'd make sense she'd be healthy at her check-up and then very quickly develop a cold, they can come on overnight. 7-10 days and she should be back to normal. Just keep pushing fluids and rest, and give extra hugs and kisses. And hopefully the pink eye is just eye gunk, and nothing more :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Could be a cold. Could be sinus infection. I babysat a little boy..he had what his mom and I thought was a cold. Well he went down for a nap..and when he woke up..he had all this green crap oozing from his eye.His mom took him in..it was sinuses.The stuff was coming out of his eye because it had no where else to go.
    Also, it could be pink eye.
    Don't worry mama..if its any of these things, they are common and generally don't last very long and if it is an infection, the dr can prescribe some antibiotic and she'll be better and feeling better soon.
    Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Pink eye it sounds like. The waking thing could be ear infection from the cold. DD's sleeping patterns always get messed up when her ears are infected. It's the only symptom. She doesn't pull or rub her ears, just wakes up a lot at night.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:32 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I hope she feels better soon
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 8:53 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Sound like she has a head cold, possibly a sinus infection, and pink eye. If you are breastfeeding (or stopped recently) put some breastmilk in her eye. The way I do it is express a little in a cup, suck it up in a sterile medicine dropper and drop a couple drops in the eye. When Jericho had it I did three doses in one day and it cleared it up, for me it took 3 days.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 9:23 AM on May. 23, 2011