Residential and commercial cleaning business.

I want to start cleaning houses and businesses. I have no knowledge or experience in this area other than cleaning my own house. What are the pros and cons? What should I charge? What should I not clean? What should I charge extra for? Do I need a business license? What does insured and bonded mean? etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would run a add in the News Paper in miscellaneous. I would call other cleaning services that are all ready established and call them. Ask them what they charge a hour. Do not till them you plan to start your own business. Get a business license. You have to pay Taxes on what you earn. Try to work as a team if you can. Always let some one know were your going and when you will be home. Always interview your Clint first. Ask  your Clint if any one will be there when your there. Ask about any Pets that may be there. Let them show you threw the home or business before you start work  there.If you feel you are not safe there than do not go any farther than the front door..

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I cleaned houses when I was a young mother and putting myself through college...My advice is... to get as much money as possible on ONE house.. so you are not doing three little houses for what you could do on one big home... you know?.. For that kind of time management... you will need to try to target neighborhoods with larger than average size homes... put some flyers on doors... safe neighborhoods... gated if possible.. even knocking and introducing yourself can't hurt....maybe even start cleaning PT at a local church for free... then you can get to know your clientele before you go to their homes. I only worked by word of mouth and I didn't need insurance nor did I need bonding.. that is pretty tricky to get arranged... like bonds are hard to obtain. Before you go to all of that... make certain this is what you are wanting. It is hard work... hard hard work.. and people get very picky and particular...
    FingerPainter

Answer by FingerPainter at 11:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Great idea ! :-) I have done some commercial cleaning many years ago. Some of the greatest accounts are businesses. One of the best ways to bid the job is to get a rate based on weekly, bi- weekly or monthly. It is hard to keep the money coming in on an hourly rate, and you have more freedom to get yoou work done as it is convenient. If you want, I could get more information from someone I know well that currently does both commercial and residential cleaning. Feel free to message me with any questions she might be able to help you out with. Good luck.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011