How's the job market now for someone with a degree in an English field (like journalism, technical writing, creative writing, etc.)?

I know that at least for a while within the past few years journalism (for papers and the like) took some serious hits, but I haven't heard anything current.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• My degree is in psychology -- but I minored in communications. I was a newspaper reporter for YEARS -- until about 5 years ago when I decided to put my psychology degree to use and work with abused/neglected children. I have noticed absolutly NO increase in salary for those in the media and not nearly as many job opportunities.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have to agree with BaileysMom476. Everything I've read lately suggests that traditional newspaper reporting jobs are going the way of the Dodo. The major newspapers are shrinking their staff and relying more on freelancers. Smaller newspapers are cutting even further. As a liberal arts type, I'm sorry to see how few opportunities are out there for English majors outside of teaching (oh yeah, they're cutting those jobs too). Although it is not a field where you write, I did go to graduate school to become a librarian. That job market has its own issues, but it is an option if you are interested in going that direction. Best of luck to you.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm leaning towards library science or something to try to get into editing.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I suspect that you will need a masters degree

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• If not already there, get on http://www.linkedin.com

sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2011