Would you consider the acts of violence that occured in Mumbai terrorism?

Article from WSJ, If it isn't Terrorism, What is it?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122816892289570229.html
"So why are so many prominent Western media reluctant to call the perpetrators terrorists? Why did Jon Snow, one of Britain's most respected TV journalists, use the word "practitioners" when referring to the Mumbai terrorists? Was he perhaps confusing them with doctors?"
Some Blame the US, what are your thoughts?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122809544395968075.html
US offered military support, India declined. What else ( if anything), should the US do, in your opinion?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes and they said it was.
    Anonymous

• we shouldnt do anythng we need to learn to mind our own buissness they dont want our help so we should stay out of it. Doesnt the US see we have gotten ourselfs in enough trouble. We cant even really help iraq but we are still there what you wana get stuck in india helping out to and then we cant leave there.
    Anonymous

• I agree Anon :12
    Anonymous

• Of course it was terrorism. Terrorism is when a group of people (regardless of religion) get together to inflict terror on a community by killing, torturing, or threatening people. I would certainly think that what happened in India qualifies as terrorism.

Answer by gemgem at 7:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It's definitely terrorism.

But we should respect their wishes and stay out of it if they don't want us there. We have too much to worry about in other parts of the world.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I think it is clearly terrorism, by the definition from the FBI (The unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a Government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.)

For them to torture the Jewish Chabad members before they killed them, even further defines as terrorism, to me.  I don't follow the BBC well enough, but this article struck a chord with me.

I don't think the US should do anything right now.  Except to share information we have on anyone involved with India's investigators.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Well I wouldn't call them the Easter bunny! Anyone who murders or does violence in this manner is a terrorist.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Why shouldn't we do anything? They were targeting "western" citizens! Are we just supposed to sit back and take it?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Susie: Why shouldn't we do anything? They were targeting "western" citizens! Are we just supposed to sit back and take it?

I kinda agree, but it's a fine line. I think we gotta let India do there thing, but be willing to help investigators, etc when/if needed..
    I feel like the Jewish community is the silent minority of this world. Thousands of years they have endured persecution. They don't make waves, so we (US) cautiously do what we can to protect them(with kid gloves), but they have endured SO much... too much...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• This is a good article also (IMO)

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/dec/02mumterror-india-us-israel-must-ally-against-terror.htm
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2008