Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who should I take my son to to get a Autism test done?!

My son has Sensory Regulatory disorder, and the doctor he saw said that he should be tested for ADHD and a spectrum disorder, where should I go to get those tests done... when he was in EI the therapists he saw said he was borderline autistic but he is out of EI now... and the school he goes to doesnt have any resources... what do i do?! where do i go?!

Answer Question

Asked by mommalimond at 10:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Health

Level 4 (29 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Hello,
    My children were diagnosed by a Developmental Pediatrician who specializes in autism, as well as a speech therapist and occupational therapist (for the sensory issues). Unless you see someone who specializes in/is well versed in autism, your child may get misdiagnosed - that happened with one of mine (the therapist was fabulous, just not well versed in autism, so not asking the right questions and when I asked, we were referred to the developmental peds doctor and got the diagnosis...made a world of difference!). Hope that helps!

    Answer by blessdmommy at 10:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • a Psychologist can do them, your Dr should be able to refer you to one that specializes in them.

    Answer by luvschocolate at 10:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • I'd take him to your family doctor or his pecs office. If they can't help you they will point you in the direction of someone that can help.

    Answer by KristinRox at 11:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • Thank you ladies... I took him to a doctor (not his own since she is out of the office for a few months) and he didnt know where to send us... :( thanks again for the help...

    Comment by mommalimond (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • a pediatrician? or t least the pediatritian can refer you. good luck!

    Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • start with your ped, they can tell you who to see

    Answer by asil at 11:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.