Why do some women want to be a stay at home mommy?

Being around my kids everyday all day drives me nuts. Being at home all day drives me nuts period. I feel like a women should be out pulling in bread as well as her husband and letting the family get a break from each other. Make that man clean up and cook dinner too!

SMITxsM2

Asked by SMITxsM2 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Because I want to.  I like the craziness.  I like and appreciate staying at home.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Because I want to be the one raising my son and I love being in my home after working many years. So I disagree our job as mothers are to nurture our children not a baby sitter. I will know what he learns because I will be the one teaching and I love and appreciate my DH for having such an amazing job that allows me to be a SAHM.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 10:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• For the same reason some women want children and some don't, or some want to go to college and some don't: everyone's different. What works for one woman or family doesn't work for another. I don't think there is any right or wrong way to go; you go with what works for you and your family.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I am a stay at home mommy and it's the best job in the world and we never stay home~! We are always out doing things. My daughter is 2 1/2 and she is a joy to be with...mY husband works 12 hours a day running a restaurant so he does plenty. he does help me clean on his days off....if you keep up on it, then it's not a big deal to run the vacuum every day or so. I enjoy cleaning..it's a break :) My daughter does swimming, gymnastics, etc...and we are always at the park so she run around or at the mountains hiking. It's a great thing to stay home with your little one and they grow up way too fast to just stick them in daycare all day...unless you have to of course. My husband didn't want me going back to work full time so I could raise our daughter....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Speaking for myself, I absolutely loved being with all of my 3 children all the time. Being a Mom and being with them was so much more fulfilling than working. I started working when they were in college. I would not do it any other way.If your kids drive you crazy, why did you have them???
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it isn't for someone else, and you won't ever know what its like until you are literally in their shoes (brain...w/e).

I've been a SAHM now for 10 years. My husband and I discussed this before we were ever married about me staying home with the kids until they were all at least in school, then I might get a job. But until they are full time, they need me here when they are not in school. I do not believe in allowing someone else to raise my kids so I can "bring in the bread" along with my husband, only to have MY paycheck pay for a babysitter/day care. And I've worked in a day care, for a VERY short time. I would never subject my children to that kind of environment if I could help it. We've not needed a second income. We've been very blessed for me to be able to stay at home with the children, and I wouldn't have it any other way, even though some days they bug the hell outta me.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• ummm...you don't have to have money coming out of your butt...you just have to live off of one salary, which is the smart thing to do anyway....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• And that is I think where the problem for you lies...........you want to know if YOU were missing something, not if YOUR KIDS were missing something.

We aren't SAHM's for ourselves, we do it for our children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I love being home with my kids. By the time they are in bed, I'm ready to lose my mind, but the fact is, no job can pay enough to make up for the love I get on a daily basis from my children. I respect working moms that won't to support their family financially & I think they should respect us SAHMs the same. We choose to do what we see is best for our families, & either way you deserve respect for it.
    lyvi

Answer by lyvi at 10:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yawn. This again? Ok I'm a SAHM because we decided it was best for our family. My husband travels more than 50% of the year. When I was working I traveled 40% of the time. Two parents traveling = no parents at times for our children. It's ok my husband makes alot of money. I get plenty of adult interaction and my kids get plenty of kid interaction. I'm rarely bored and have a great life. I also enjoy spending time with my children. It's a shame you don't. BTW, fathers? Did I read that right? How sad you sound and how jealous. Keep your nose out of my yard and I'll do the same.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2011