Garnished wages

If my exes wages are being garnished for child support then why is my payment two weeks behind? And, of course when i ask about it he curses me out and tells me all kind of nasty things.

suhweetness

Asked by suhweetness at 10:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Probably just takes time to process?
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 10:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It takes time to process the payments and the employer may not be sending it in right away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If it goes to the court then to you thats the issue. Perhaps his job only sends the wages once a month to the court as well. Call his boss and ASK, Especially if youh have a court order for the garnishment.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If his check is being garnished, he is NOT the one you need to speak with. You need to deal with the institution that is collecting the garnishement. And, yes, it does take time. The company he works for has to deduct it from his paycheck. Then, they have to send that money to the institution in charge fo collecting it. Then, the institution has to get it to you by the means you agreed to when you made the arrangements.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• His boss cannot legally talk to you about the garnishment. Even if you have a court agreement for the garnishment. That is for the payment. It does not give you rights to discuss his payroll. The only person you can talk with about this is the institution that is collecting the money. If that is the court, then you call the court house. I've spent 15 years in payroll. Been through this countless times with angry ex-wives.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• well i have been recieveing payments faithfully for monthes...thats why im confused
    suhweetness

Comment by suhweetness (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• mine was the same, back when I got child support - It just takes time for everything to be processed. He worked for a big company, who used another company to handel thier garnishments. So, when he got paid, it went through this other company and then mailed by check to me. JUST be glad your recieving child support on a regualry. ... I haven't recieved a dime in two years! If you know, it takes two weeks then adjust your personal budget according.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• One of my girlfriends gets child support and gets screwed around all the time on her support. When he pays, they have the "right" to hold it for up to 30 days (state of Michigan), and if there are any unusual payments (i.e. tax garnishments or huge payments) they can hold it for up to 6 months! Granted, half the time this guy doesn't pay, but when he does, they hold it as long as they can. I would call the court office to see if it was received before you call him.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If its being taken out of his check then he doesnt know a thing about it. call the courthouse and ask them why you havent recieved the check.

Are you on PA? cause they could be keepin it to pay for that. Thats what happened to my mom when my fathers checks were being garnished. the state kept the money because she was on PA
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011