Can a urinary tract infection delay your period?

I had sex April 1st then experience spotting this past Saturday which i thought was implantation bleeding. I went to the doctor Tuesday and she told me i have a really bad urinary tract infection. I still thought I might be pregnant since my period is 4 days late now but when i took a test today after work it was negative...can my infection cause a false negative?

nandy90

Asked by nandy90 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have heard that it can but I have never had it happen.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 10:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It might. I know that I had a terrible urinary tract infection earlier this year and it definitely delayed mine.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If you were already expecting your period, the only thing that I know of that will delay it is pregnancy. Once you ovulate, if the egg isn't fertilized and implanted, you have your period...period. Illness, including UTIs, can delay ovulation, which in turn can make your period later than expected, but not after you've ovulated. At that point, it's imminent.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• ya i was already expecting my period and having cramps before the infection symptoms set in
    nandy90

Comment by nandy90 (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• maybe
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 12:46 AM on Apr. 21, 2011