Sudafed PE in pregnancy

I asked earlier about taking Sudafed while being pregnant. My husband went to Wal-Mart and the pharmacist told him that all of the off brand Sudafed PE meds were ok to take during pregnancy. I called another pharmacy to double check and she told me that it is not safe to take and I also done some online research and everything I found about it said that it is unsafe. Does anyone know? Its just that I have a cold or something and I feel completely miserable. Does anyone know anything that is completely safe to take during pregnancy? I'm 34weeks and 3days pregnant. Thanks!

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 10:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Sudafed and PregnancyClinical studies on pregnancy and Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) show that taking the drug during early pregnancy can increase the risk of gastroschisis or small intestinal atresia. Due to this potential risk, Sudafed has been classified as a pregnancy Category C medicine by the FDA. If you are taking this medication and pregnancy occurs, contact your healthcare provider to discuss the benefits and risks.

There is some preliminary evidence that taking this drug in early pregnancy (during the first trimester) may increase the risk of gastroschisis (an opening in the abdominal wall which allows a portion of the intestines to protrude) or small intestinal atresia (a blockage or missing section of the small intestine). However, the risk (if it truly exists) appears to be small and other causes (such as other medications) cannot be ruled out.

MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My doctor only approves the "plain regular" sudafed with the pseudo ephedrine while I'm pregnant. None of the 12 hour or 24 hour...none of the extra bells and whistles...just the 4 or 6 hour (whatever it is that is lowest) plain old regular sudafed.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-over-the-counter-medications-during-pregnancy_1486462.bc

No it is not safe from what I have read and my Dr said no while I was pregnant.

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I was told you can take regular strength but not the PE or any of those other extra letter ones. And yes, store brands are ok, just make sure the main ingredient is the same as Sudafed.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• regular
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 12:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I was only allowed to take the regular brand and had to do so a few times with my first pregnancy
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 4:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2011