Would this make you feel badly?

I'm currently pursuing my B.A. in English, so I cannot help but notice some mistakes in grammar, spelling, etc. all the time. A major offender of this is the online edition of my local newspaper. Riddled with errors, I've made a comment or two in the comment section on articles that have extremely obvious mistakes. However, now when I see something, I feel badly about wanting to point it out to the editor, as I do not want to appear full of myself or nitpick.

Would this make you feel badly/ like an 'ass' for commenting? Do you think anyone who points out obvious mistakes is at fault?

EdwinsMommy

Asked by EdwinsMommy at 10:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• No. I want to do the same thing. I think- Why can't I have that person's job? I could do it much better:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If you are directing it to the editor, I don't think you are being an ass...you are expressing your dissatisfaction with the way he or she is doing the job. If you were doing it to a layperson or a stranger, yeah, you would probably be an asshole, but if you are pointing it out to the person whose responsibility it is to watch for these things, then no.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• That's what I was thinking, I simply type something like:

"Great article, however you accidentally typed this quotation twice."

Or something like that. If it's small, I won't say something...I still feel like I'm being "holier-than-thou" If I do however :\
    EdwinsMommy

Comment by EdwinsMommy (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I make comments on Yahoo's "news" about grammar and misspelling all the time. No one proof reads what they publish on the web. It wouldn't make me feel bad. But thats me. I don't give a rats ass what others think. I'm not God and I cant always catch spelling and grammar, but I do my best.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I'm an English Major myself. I have to work at not being annoyed, too. But, I have to remind myslef that not everyone is an English Major. I don't nitpick here on CM. That doesn't really bother me. We are moms from all walks of life. And, typos happen, as well. So what? But, when it comes to professionals (papers, company websites, etc) I am astounded at the amount of errors I find. With the technology of today (spell check, lol) there really is no excuse for any professional institution to have errors. Especially consistent ones. I have been known to contact company websites & tell them they need to check on their webmasters a bit more. When you are trying to come of as a professional to the public, there is no room for mistakes.

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You are not an ass. I used to work in the legal profession and everything had to be perfect, the language, the terminology, etc. Those little mistakes can sometimes change the meaning of something (not good when it comes to the law) and it looks extremely UNPROFESSIONAL; not the image anyone with credibility wants to portray.

Point out the errors but do it with some decorum.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No, I wouldnt think you were an ass. I wouldnt feel like one either.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2011