Started running after giving birth and my knees give out...

So i used to run before I was pregnant all the time - no problems. was in complete shape. Delivered my beautiful son and now i look like oompa loompa and when i went running for the first time, my knees just killed me. They hurt for probably 48 hours afterwards too. I haven't tried running since. Do i need to just start off slowly to get them back or should I see a doctor? I never had this problem and I don't know what to do. I need to get rid of this baby weight!

smfeld

Asked by smfeld at 10:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Health

• pregnancy hormones cause the tendons and ligaments to become very flexible and stretchy. It's possible that they have not yet returned to their previous strength. I would walk as much as you can, until they return to normal. GL and I hope it's not something else.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Well, if you tried to start where you left off pre-pregnancy, it's no wonder you had a hard time. I dont know how long ago you gave birth. Nor do I know how many months of your pregnancy you didn't run. But, its safe to say it's been several months since you were at full steam ahead. Your body has been through a pregnancy & a birth. As wonderful as that experience was, your body has not kept up with that old routine. You need to ease back into that routine. Start light & work your way back to where you were. It takes time. And, you need to give your body a chance to recuperate & work back to where you were.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Thanks! My son is now 13 months old. So it's been awhile since I ran-thats for sure. We go for walks all the time. I've been waiting for the freezing weather to go away to try to start and run again.
    smfeld

Comment by smfeld (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• could be a change in your body from pregnancy
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011