Does anyone else care...

about what your children eat at day care or at elementary school? I was the only mom who brought in healthier food to supplement what the day care offered. Our kids both ate disgusting school food when they aged out of day care due to time constraints, but finally my daughter started bringing her own lunch last year (guess I raised her right...). Still waiting for my son to follow suit (he's only 8).

Does anyone else care how institutions feed kids?

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 11:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I have my kids at home for me now (3 and 1) but it is something I worry about. When I bring homemade snacks to my son's play group a lot of moms say "Oh, I always forget that I could cook something to bring..."
    Honestly, its not a ton of work, it is something my kids enjoy doing and I feel a lot better knowing exactly what is going into their bodies (which usually includes a little extra wheat germ and shredded up vegetable disguised as a sweet treat).
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Our daycare is mandated to provide nutritious meals by the state and I have actually seen what the feed them during snack time..we also get meal plans for the week of what the are serving. Now actual school terrifies me. Not alot of schools have jumped on the bandwagon of healthier food..but then again that costs LOTS of money..which schools dont have..and thats because of federal and state funding going places it shouldn't! BUT thats an entirely different issue!!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My granddaughter chooses to take her lunch most days. She's 8 yrs old. I had to laugh at her the other day. She was talking about the school pizza. She said "It's too greasy & I don't even think it's real cheese!" LOL. Never occured to me that an 8 yr old would know anything about "fake" cheese. LOL. She likes to take ham, swiss cheese, crackers, 3 cucumber slices, 3 baby carrots & grapes, strawberries, cherries or watermelon. I say she is one smart 8 yr old. But, then again, I a bit biased. Heehee.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No! MI've went and ate with my girls several times at the school and it seems to be a well balanced meal.
    Anonymous

• ah no not really...but I did bitch at my daughters private school for having a candy store on campus. I raised up a few signatures and needless to say that candy store is more of a GNC thanks to my Hubby and I
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• my kids attend a private school and love the food. It's healthy and balanced meals everyday.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My kids were fed well-balanced, healthy meals at daycare - their provider had to provide menus to the state, she was not allowed to feed certain things, etc. And now with our school, it's small and we only have 1 cook, and she cooks good home-style meals most of the time - we get the menus a month at a time so if there's anything I'm not cool with I can send something with them or balance it out at home. I have no issues with our school lunches.
    Anonymous

• I always provided (and my kids preferred) my kids' meals and snacks . Whoever is making these food choices for the schools hasn't the slightest clue as to what healthy is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Our schools serve well balanced meals so I don't mind at all :)
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 5:06 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I think all parents CARE what their kids eat and WANT it to be nutritious. But the reality is some parents can't afford to send lunch to school and therefore whatever the school serves they have to deal with. For some kids (including me as a child) school lunches are all there is eat during the week.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 9:08 AM on May. 23, 2011