How do you put your pet on a diet?

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 11:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Pets

• Buy the special diet food from the pet store, only provide measured portions, and exercise the animal. If it's a cat, get a feather toy or light pointer for it to chase - for a dog, take it for plenty of walks. The goal is to get the pet more active. Essentially it's the same for them as it is for us.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Our dog was 115 pounds do to our over feeding him. But it also seemed like he was always hungry!
    Well when we took him to the vet for his heavy breathing we were told he was obese and should be 85 pounds.
    The vet put him on a prescription diet food called Science Diet RD; I know Science Diet is sold in stores but the RD needs a prescription which you can purchase at the vet or pet store like pet smart or petco.
    Our dog is now 89 mpounds and breathing normally!!!
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Feed him once a day like normal dogs should be fed...please donĀ“t forget the water, and morning and evening walks 30 min at least
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Portion control (cut back on the portion sizes) and increased exercise. You can also add a few unsalted green beens to make it feel like it is getting more. I would definitely NOT feed Science Diet...yuck!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Reduce amount you are feeding. Most companies tell you to feed more then is necessary. You should also increase the amount of exercise he gets. If you reduce the amount of food and he is not losing weight you might try a good quality diet food.  But green beans are a great way to0 help them fill full as weel. You can put those in with the kibble. My dogs love green beans as treats.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have never in all my years of owning all breeds of dogs had an overweight dog. I don't follow the directions on the back of the bag of kibble.

I feed my dogs strictly based on their appearance and my dogs get a lot of exercise. If you can not visibly see your dog's waist then cut back by 1/2 cup increments until you start to see a little waist-for small dogs cut back by 1/4 cup. If you give your dog treats and extra food during the day, then you need to cut down the dinner by 1/2 cup as well.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Portion Controll you dont want to starve your dog.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 6:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Reduce the portion and don't feed the critter ppl food.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011