What do you do when someone you know is making racist comments?

More than once, I have called someone I know a racist to their face because of blatant racist comments the person was making. I just could not sit there and nod my head. Is there a better way to point it out so that it may make the person think?

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 11:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If someone is that truly ignornant..They won't change, no matter what you say to them. Its to the point you just have to walk away and know you are a better person than that!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I've done this, I will gladly call anyone on the comments they make, especially ones that are blatantly intended to be hurtful.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I would call them out too.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No, there isn't. Call them out on it. I work the front desk of a hotel and a man was talking to one of my fellow coworkers and made a racist comment. I called him out on it. I said, "Excuse me>!! You will not talk like that in my lobby!" He started to stutter and try to cover his tracks. I just repeated myself and told him to get out and grow up.
    LoraGardiner

Answer by LoraGardiner at 11:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I say something, I can't keep my mouth shut when it comes to racism. Granted I'm not changing the way the person thinks, but if we don't speak up, who will? I got a dumb 'b' word fired for saying racist crap. We worked at a call center and she got off the phone with someone who had a thick Hispanic accent and said 'Can't these spics learn English already'. I told her I hope you can find another job! Then I went to HR and told them what happened and that bimbo was gone. My husband and children are Hispanic so it took a lot for me to not totally go off on her.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The only time I hear racist comments are when they are coming out of my dad's mouth, and I'm sorry, but I'm afraid of the guy, so no, I won't speak up to him about his comments.

Other than that, I did have a "friend" who would refer to the natives around here as "feathers", obviously being racist. I kept reminding her that both of us have "feather" in us, and she would always reply that it wasn't the same :/ She's no longer my friend, but for other reasons.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I try really hard to work on me first. My dad's favorite TV character is Archie Bunker (thinks the guy is hilarious). He has a picture in his bathroom of a little black (dark black) boy sitting in an old fashioned bathtub with the caption: How ink is made. I refuse to talk to him now, for numerous reasons.

I am prejudiced, but I really try watch what I say and do. I am also very outspoken and will speak my mind, sometimes when I should just shut the h*ll up. Because of my shortcomings though I don't feel I really have any ground to stand on. I'm trying my hardest to NOT pass on my bad attitudes to my children.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I tell them that I really don't like to hear talk like that, and that if I felt that way, I'd have missed out on knowing some of the best friends of my life. There are one or two family members who do that, and sometimes I keep my mouth shut to keep the peace - unless they say it in front of my kids! We are Caucasian, and as far as I know my kids (6 and 2) have never heard a racial slur (the "n" word, etc).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I guess it would depend on who it was. My BIL told a racist joke once and I didn't crack a smile and said "Not funny." He got the point. The only other time someone made racist comments in front of me, it was my DH's old boss. I didn't say anything because, well, he controlled my husband's job. I just bit my tongue.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I don't hear any racist comments from the people I know...just lot's of griping about the president and the legislators.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2011