What do you do when your kids give you trouble at bed time?

My kids won't go to sleep! They are 2 and 3. I know they are both very tired, they just won't go to sleep! It's two hours past their bed time. Daddy's not here tonight. I'm thinking about calling and letting them say goodnight. Maybe just us girls will set up a tent and have a campout in the living room. lol. What do you do on nights like this?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 11:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Lots of cuddles, turn the tv off and lights low. Read a story. Talk quietly and read them a story about sleeping or a night-time story. Read it quietly. If necessary, tuck them in with me and sleep together. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My mother in law was a pro at getting the kids to go to sleep. Any time they came out, she quickly ushered them back to bed. Make sure the lights are off. Also, did they get too much sleep during the day? That can impact their ability to sleep at night. Setting up a tent sends a message of play time - I don't think that's a good idea...
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Set the stage....make it quiet and calm...lights low....read stories in a quiet and slow voice, NO excitement,no stimulation. Just quiet. My kids were very easy to get to sleep when they were little just by creating a quiet and calm atmosphere.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i read somewhere that if a kiddo won't go to bed, then tell them they don't have to go to sleep! tell them they still have to lie in bed, but they can play with toys or read quietly, and they can't get up until it's morning. i read that about having them take naps, though, so hopefully it still works for nighttime sleep. i mean, any time a kid TRIES to stay up, they're out like lights! hope that helps
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 11:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Sorry momma, I never really had this problem. Oh sure, once in a while you get the "I'm thirsty" or "I need to potty" after bedtime. They don't get a drink, but I definitely let them potty, especially if they didn't already go right before bed. But all my kids have, for the most part, been pretty good at going to bed and staying there.

Good luck, and it looks like you've got some good suggestions already ;)
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Do your normal bedtime routine with stories, snuggles, and whatever, turn off the lights, and provide a quiet environment.

Everytime they sneak out of bed, whisk them right back. No stories, no cuddles. The more attention you provide, the more they'll want to get up for it. Say, "It's bedtime", and put them in their bed.

Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 5:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Thanks, Mamas. All the lights in the house are out (except for their night light) We loved and cuddled for a bit, snuggled them in ....about 10 different times. LOL. And I finally tried AngryBob's idea and it worked.....only I'm pretty sure my 2 year old is passed out sitting up next to her bed. lol. I better go tuck her back in. Hahaha!
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2011