Breastmilk to cure newborn rash?HELP!

My 9 day old baby girl has some sort of heat rash OR skin irritation to Burt's Bees day lotion SPF15 that I used,we really were not in the sun at all, But now has little bumps on her skin mostly were lotion was applied....I bathed her and then put some breastmilk on the irritated areas will this work?also heard of burnt flour,nurse said if gets worse go in tomorrow but wont have car,need answers PLEEAASE :(

Asked by evakeniva4 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal for newborns to get all kinds of skin irritations. This is known as 'contact dermatitis'. It usually goes away on its own in a few days or a few weeks. Contact your doctor however if your baby is acting differently (sick) or the rash worsens/appears to show no signs of healing at all after a few days.

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• not acting sick and rash appeared last night but still monitering overnight

Comment by evakeniva4 (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You can tell a lot by what it looks like & where it appears. My son got a rash on his face, neck, and the top part of his chest. It was pale red with little red bumps. It went away on its own in about 2-3 weeks. It turns out that whenever he got too hot & had moisture (milk, drool, etc) on him it would cause a rash to pop up. I'd say look up symptoms (such as whiteheads, any fever, coloration) and start there. Chances are it is nothing serious.

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• New babies get rashes a lot. If she isn't bothered by it, I wouldn't worry. I would switch lotions though, no sunblock until after 6 months old, which would include any SPF product, their little bodies can't handle the chemicals yet. The lotion likely was too harsh for her.

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Breast milk has a lot of curing qualities. It is the BEST for sore or even cracked nipples. Trying on the rash is an awesome idea. Please let me know if it works.

Answer by aprilavenmarg at 11:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The breastmilk was the best idea. No sunscreen until after 6 months. She should be fine. If she acts worse or the rash worsens, call the doc.

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think it was the breastmilk my Angel looks 80% better, bumps are gone little bit of red left but sure just a few more hours and it will calm....not sure if it caused it but defintily no SPF for 6 months,going to be very careful of temperatures ANYWHERE still little worried b/c I live in OK.....anyways 1st bathed area wih mild soap 2nd let air dry many hours 3rd added breastmilk. All this achieved a happy rash free baby in 24 hours,But if symptom had seemed to get worse definite doc. app. early morning

Comment by evakeniva4 (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Awesome mommy.

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• 95% better now Thank You Ladie's so much for encouragment and advice Yaay for breastmilk it really is THE liquid gold!

Comment by evakeniva4 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2011