How do you talk about death and dying to a 6 1/2 yo boy?

He keeps saying he can't wait til I die, so he can die and we can be in heaven together. I told him we are together now, so why don't we just enjoy this.

He talks about death and dying a lot. Would you be concerned?

willngingersmom

Asked by willngingersmom at 11:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is normal that he is talking about it. You gave him a good answer.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I agree with robot. Kids go through alot of curiousities and will say some things that shock us. How sweet he wants to be with you forever..... :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Aww, thank you both!!
    willngingersmom

Comment by willngingersmom (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You might mention he can not do certain things in heaven like eat his favorite food, go to the park, etc. Mention whatever his favorite things are to do. You could say heaven is a happy place but you just feel happy there, you can not run and play, etc. It might help him visualize it better that way. Just an idea.........GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Maybe look for a book about death and based on your religious beliefs discuss it with him. He is just curious but needs to understand that we have to live our life to the fullest on earth first
    maybaby22

Answer by maybaby22 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My mom bought me a book when I was little. I think it helped me understand death a little better.
    peelie

Answer by peelie at 6:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• yes i would be concerned id take him to get some help
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It is normal that he is talking about it. You gave him a good answer; kids go through alot of curiosities and will say some things that shock us. just be honest with him and let him know that you enjoy being with him right now and that when things happen it is great that he wants to be with you forever
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 22, 2011