Is this true???

That as you age it gets harder to loose weight?I am 29 and noticing that it is not so easy anymore.

sarah389

Asked by sarah389 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• at 29 you shouldn't be having a hard time, unless you've never tried to lose weight before or you're trying to lose a very large amount. but that's more for like mid-late 30's and beyond. it also has to do with the elasticity in your body...the older you get, the less likely your body will go back down- the skin, i mean...so you can physically lose weight, but the skin may still be a little saggy. that's why many women try to have babies younger.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• As you age, you begin to lose muscle mass and tone, and women especially have issues due to their fluctuating estrogen levels. Estrogen is basically a fat magnet.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• rolling on flooroh Im sooo sorry but 29??!!!  Honey if your having issues now just wait.  29 is NOT old or even close to getting older.

Anonymous

• I've always heard the same thing, but I'm 31 and have yet to notice a change.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I'd have to say, yes it is harder but only becaue I have three kids at home, working and no time. I think, if I lived alone, could fix meals just for myself, have time for the gym or a walk, etc.. It would be easier. I lost 10 lbs a few months ago, fairly easy, changed diet and exercise but then LIFE got in way, cub scout meetings in the evening, basketball games and projects for work.
    I keep trying to start again, but soon give up, probably too easliy...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• PP - You are rude! This is why some women shy away from asking questions here because of sarcasm like yours.

OP - You are correct. Once a woman turns 25 your metabolism starts to slow down. That doesn't mean that everyone's does and you can do things to keep it up, by staying active is very important. Also, after having babies also can slow your metabolism. Now, if you naturally have a higher metabolism, you probably wouldn't notice a difference, but if you are the latter, than there's a change you would have a harder time. Personally, I have had a harder time, especially adding on three pregnancies on top of that. I have never had a high metabolism and have to work really hard to stay in shape. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it and you will reach your goal.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Your metabolism only slows by about 10% per decade. It's really not that big a factor. However, people often become less active as they age, and find they have less energy, so that's part of it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Absolutely! You also lose muscle tone. Wait'll you hit 43!

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yes, your metabolism slows down.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2011