What age is appropiate for a child to have their own PC or laptop?

yummysmummy

Asked by yummysmummy at 11:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Mine is 5 and has my old one with educational games and software loaded on to it. She knows how to use it to get to pbskids.org and knows how to open the games I set up for her. I don't see it as an age thing, more as a "what are they using it for" thing. If it is for school and research, I don't think it is too young at any age...for being online, that might be a different story. Then again, it is hard to separate the two!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I didn't get my OWN pc until I was 17 and had a plan to go to college.
    The same will go for my children. They will not get their own computer until they are starting plans for college. We will have a "family" computer and monitor strictly.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• my dd has a an ipad....so its not really a laptop...but pretty much and she is 7.....and my niece has her own laptop and she is 9....so i would say sometime betwen 7-11
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'm thinking my DS will get one in 6th grade, or when he starts junior high school. He's just finishing up 4th grade right now and I feel he's still too young. Anything that needs to be done online can be done on my laptop.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think maybe when their homework becomes something to where it will definitely be beneficial for them to have internet access. I have a 5yo DD who will be starting Kindergarten next year, so I haven't the slightest clue when that is...LOL
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't know, SO just told me last night that he wants to put a computer in his 10 year old son's room! I feel it's a bit young. I had a computer when I was 14, but the school I went to, everything had to be done on computers.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I don't even have my own laptop. Why would I buy one for one of my kids? We have 1 working computer in the house that me and my husband share. My kids aren't allowed to touch except for school assignments and the occasional game (and I mean like once a month for a couple hours). They are almost 11, 9 1/2, 8 1/2 and 5. We have no intentions of buying them laptops of their own...probably ever. They can save up and get their own when they have jobs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• freshman year of highschool. That is when they will need it and appreciate it more! A child under 14 does not need their own computer. There is no need.
    SweetlilQtMama

Answer by SweetlilQtMama at 10:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Our school here starts them around 6th-7th grade, they are assigned one just like text books. There are so many securtities on them that they can not get into trouble with them.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• my son will get one for 6th grade,so in 2 years

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011