When does your period start up again after you give birth?

I gave birth around 2 months ago and ofcourse was bleeding after birth for a while. but then it stopped for a while and then started back up again resently, how do i know if it is my period back or not? i would like to know so i can start using tampons again. But my blood is also looking brownish so i dont know whether its just still stuff coming out from birth because my mucus plug was faily big. It is also coming out alot so i dont know if its safe to use a tampon again? i mean has any one had the same thing?

Misslondon

Asked by Misslondon at 11:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Health

• I bled for like 6 weeks after giving birth, it stopped for about 2 weeks and then started up again. I called the doctor and they did an ultrasound and found 4 polyps and I had to have a d&c. I'm not saying this is what's happening to you, but I was having mostly brown blood as well. If it keeps up for another week I would call your doctor.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would't use a tampon until you have gone a month without bleeding and know for sure it is a period. That is just me though. I know they say after 6 weeks you're good. Maybe ask your OB if he cares.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• depends are you breast feeding or formula? breast feeding keeps your period from coming for a long time
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 12:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• thanks you guys.
    Q for kaylan..
    i have never heard of those before, i think they are pockets of air, but not sure? what are they exactly and how could that effect your down below?
    Misslondon

Comment by Misslondon (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• i only resently stopped breastfeeding since i gave birth
    Misslondon

Comment by Misslondon (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• For everyone it's different. If you are breastfeeding, your period could be put off for a good little while. If I remember correctly, I got my first period after my DS (who I didn't breastfeed), 2 months pp. I bled for 6 weeks with pp stuff and then 2 weeks later got my first period.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It could take a while even after you stop breastfeeding for it to come! :) After bfing my daughter it was a few months later when I got my first period. But still, it's different for everyone. But the bfing will delay it a bit.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• After I had my baby they let me out the hospital the next day but I had a very high fever......the next couple weeks was hell and i was still bleeding heavily and was not feeling good at all, so I went to the er and got checked and they had left some placenta in the womb and it got infected and I had to get an d and c to get the rest of it out.
    zion_nicole

Answer by zion_nicole at 12:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I believe the polyps are growths, like tissue. Not usually serious, but make u bleed between periods.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• thanks you guys :]
    Misslondon

Comment by Misslondon (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2011