Job losses in the USA

The following data was screened earlier today on CNN's program ' In the Arena '

US Multinational Corporations - emploment changes 2000 - 20009

USA .............................. a net reduction of 2,900,ooo.
Other countries .............a net gain of 2,400,ooo

It would seem that generous tax and related breaks are not helping to retain jobs in the US by this group of companies .

Any comments ? No bashing , please.

janet116

Asked by janet116 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My neighbor put 28 long years with Freightliner and was called into the office today and was handed his walking papers. Worst yet, they escorted him off the property. He's devasted and jobs are being lost by hardworking men and women every day! Now he has to woryy about mortgage payment, utilities and the huge fact that he's 66 years old and who will hire him. I'm so sick of seeing folks losing their jobs!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It's because those who control this country (billionaires and corps) can not see beyond their own pocket books. Outsourcing, down-sizing, right-sizing, job and pension eliminations, higher HC premiums, Co-pays...next up major wage reductions. It seems that the billionaires do not want others to achieve their same level of financial success and security-all rather third worldish, IMO-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It would seem that generous tax and related breaks are not helping to retain jobs in the US by this group of companies .

Which breaks exactly are you referring to? Have they scrapped HCR and Cap and Trade completely? Because as long as those are pending on the table, they are the same as holding a gun to businesses' heads, stalling growth until they know for sure what's going to happen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• So, all the other countries in the world weren't able to create any jobs on their own? I am not disagreeing with you entirely..I hate like heck the jobs have left the US..I am just saying this isn't a totally accurate picture.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• If I lived in Canada I wouldn't care. Or mexico, or Bolivia, or Russia. see where I'm going with this?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

***

Obviously Canadian politics must be a total snooze fest!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Thank you NP.

Grace is right, unions are a big problem. An example..a US company with a union makes white shirts..the cheapest they can turn them out is $6 each...the govt is seeking to give a contract for 100,000 white shirts. A company in China gets the contract because they turned them out for $1.00 each...this is a true story. If you don't believe me get hooked up as a contractor and you can see what I am talking about.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• it's because the gov. is allowing the corporations to outsource jobs to other countries. I feel the unemployment is not correct as so many have fallen off the "charts" and are no longer being counted (cause they aren't being paid) so they say "unempl. gone down as the data 'shows'" blah blah...
    starlight1968

Answer by starlight1968 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• First, you make the perfect argument that Libs don't want to hear. While GE may not have payed any taxes in last year, most companies do. This proves that the majority of these so called loop holes don't exist.
    Second, you didn't list what the companies are? We don't know if the jobs lost were the same jobs gained by other countries. You forget, other countries are in as dire straits as the US. They are just doing a better job at repairing their economies. We tax our corporations at close to the highest in the world. We regulate and red tape them to death. Why would they want to stay?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Sorry, for you fussy people it's paid not payed.
    itsmesteph11