Son won't do school work

My son is in Kindergarten and refuses to do his work. I understand that there are things he doesn't know. But when I have tried to help him he sits there and grins and acts like he doesn't know simple words and its all a game. In the beginning it was he didn't know his abcs and counting to 20 which we know he did cause we taught him how to do it. If his dad is around he will start crying and my husband will get onto me for not being more supportive. I am trying to help and if they honestly don't know then I can and will help but I refuse to do his homework for him. My hubby usually takes over and does do it for him.
Am I wrong here to make his sit there and do it himself or is hubby right for doing it for him?

firepony

Asked by firepony at 12:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The kid needs to do it for himself. Otherwise, how will he ever learn? Father is teaching him that if he cries enough, someone else will do it for him.

Has son been tested for learning disabilities?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• wish I had a good answer, but i have a 12 yr old and the same problem. She thinks, oh I got a 70, I passed - that if she does her school work at all. she loves to read just don't ask her to write anything down. she's smart and can do the work - I hate to call her lazy, but I think, she's just palin lazly and doesn't want to do it.
    I suggest being creative and make it fun.. if you have to count jelly beans or noodles to help with math. My kdis school use to use shaving cream to write the spelling words in. Maybe even a special dessert after dinner if all his work is done without a fuss. you have to show him that it can be fun...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No he has never been tested for learning disabilities. When his dad is not around he always manages to do it himself. Its just when daddy is around he can't do it for some reason. I don't think is a learning problem, I think its laziness because of dad. I don't wanna sound harsh but it is so frustrating. And if I take it to far with the DH then I am accused of being mean because he is my SS. So I just keep my mouth shut when daddy steps in.
    firepony

Comment by firepony (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I agree that he has learned dad will step in and do the work if he protests long enough about it. Not good. And making it fun and different might be all he needs. You and dad need to talk it over and have a plan to make it fun for the child. Right now the child is playing you against each other. You need to present a united front to the child. Remind dad that he wants to have an independent, confident, son and not a manipulator. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Then yes, he can do his own work, he's just learned that Dad will do it for him if he whines about it. Dad needs to STOP his behavior of "helping" out NOW.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• no hubby is not helping at all and he wont learn if u give him all the answers maybe when he starts acting like that maybe give him ten mins or so then go back at it he might just need a break
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Thanks guys now I just gotta get hubby to understand what he is doing.
    firepony

Comment by firepony (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2011