Preschool

Hey mom's do you agree that kids do better in school if they did go to preschool first? Did any of you mom's have or not have your kids go to preschool before k.? How do you feel?

butterflies78

Asked by butterflies78 at 12:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I feel that children who go to preschool learn social skills. I am not saying that kids who don't go to preschool don't have social skills, I am saying that its an important factor in which kids interact with others. my daughter went to preschool and she is a social butterfly. my step son didn't go, and he is antisocial most of the time.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 12:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My kids all did a year of preschool before K, two afternoons a week. For my kids it was important to us for the social aspect, my mil watched them so they weren't around other kids their own ages. It did make a huge difference for my kids. My youngest went from being very introverted, very shy, very attached to me to much more independant, willing to talk to others, learning how to play and interact with his peers. Not every kid needs that, but mine did and it was totally worth the money we paid for preschool.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My daughter has been in some sort of pre-school since she was 2-1/2. First just for the novelty of it (private...one hour, once a week) and then because she needed it due to needing speech therapy (public....2-1/2 hours 4 days a week). She is 5 now and will start Kindergarten next year. I believe pre-school helps many children learn who are better in a classroom setting and I believe it also helps many children do better the first few weeks of Kindergarten because they kind of know ahead of time what is going on. I also believe it does do good for socialization....but that wasn't a concern at all for us since DD has been in tumbling since she was 17 months, has had Kindermusik classes, we do playdates, etc., etc. She is a social butterfly and I've always said I can throw her in a room full of strangers and she'd be perfectly okay with that.....that is not because of school or tumbling or play dates...that's just her.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My son went to preschool for a month before I pulled him out. He was acting out and just becoming a very angry and introverted child at that point. I "homeschooled" everything he would have learned in preschool and now he's doing excellent in Kindergarten. My dd is doing very well in preschool this year. It all depends on your child and what you believe is best for him/her. Good Luck!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 12:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• not just the socil skills do you feel it helps out in the learning part do you think they get more ahead then the others when they start k?
    butterflies78

Comment by butterflies78 (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Children who have not been to preschool can do just fine in kindergarten. Their parents should make sure that they expose them to a variety of experiences though, like going to the library, enjoying playgrounds, helping mom/dad at the grocery store, enjoying music, being read to often, being in a play group or having play dates, etc, etc. Without those "life lessons" a child can be at a disadvantage.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Whether they learn much academic stuff in preschool really depends on how much time the parents put into teaching/playing with the kids before then. The kids I've known did gain social skills and general readiness for kindergarden from preschool, but it didn't make much of a difference as far as facts in their head (letters, numbers, holding a pencil, etc.) because their parents have been working on this with them from the beginning. But I know not all parents have the time to spend with their kids this way. Many work long hours and honestly just don't want to spend the little remaining time counting how many blue rocks and red leaves you can find in the backyard or "writing" notes to grandma for her birthday. So for those kids, yeah, preschool should help to bring them up to speed.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• There are studies done on this. There may be an apparent advantage for children that attended preschool as the start their school career. However, in most cases (not all, but most) that advantage dissipates by the third grade when children tend to level off with their peers. In other words, there has yet to be a study that supports the idea of long term academic benefits achieved by sending your child to preschool.

That said, I don't think preschool is a bad thing. In fact, I think it can lay a great foundation that education can be fun and tangible. Both my kids attended preschool (ages 3 and 4.) They enjoyed it. They still (now at ages almost 9 and 6 1/2) talk fondly of their experience at preschool. They learned how to function in a classroom setting and to enjoy 'school' itself. The basic academics? Nothing we couldn't do at home -- and we DID play games to learn those things at home.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think it's better that they go to preschool first. My ex's cousin didn't send his son to school and when he got to kindergarten it was a shock to him and he had a bunch of issues, granted it could have just been him...who knows.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yes, to develop a lot of skills in that age...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2011