Military Wives: What would you say if you DH wanted to volunteer for deployment?

DH asked me what I thought about him volunteering for a deployment with another unit. This would be deployment #3, we have 3 kids, and I just don't know how I feel about it.

On one hand, a paycheck is a paycheck (His words)

On the other, deployments suck!!

What do you think??

willngingersmom

Asked by willngingersmom at 12:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• Tough call. I hate deployments too but the extra money is nice. However, he is volunteering for this and you are stuck taking care of the house, kids, bills, etc alone for x amount of time while he is away for a deployment of his choosing. I know my husband won't volunteer for deployments. He knows how crazy I go without the extra support. Good luck though. It is definitely something the two of you need to discuss together.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:46 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• DH is contemplating an overseas job right now... he got out of the military last Sept. I really don't want him to go since he already has a good job, but on the other hand if he feels like it's a step in the right direction then I will be loving and missing him every second he is gone. I don't want the kids to go through another deployment though. I don't have any advice I guess, but to support him in the decision he makes. It's hard, but that's what we gotta do.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 12:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It depends on the circumstances. Deployments render extra pay, so he may be thinking that that extra money could help the fam. If it was a short deployment, it'd be nicer to know he'd be gone shorter with that unit than longer if he waits to go with his cuurent unit.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My friend's husband volunteered for a deployment in 2009, it worked for them because they both agreed on it. My husband was asked if he wanted to volunteer for a deployment that same year. He chose not to because at the time the extra money just wasn't worth it for what they wanted him to do. I suggest talking with your husband and letting out all of your concerns. If you are both not on the same page then one of you could resent the other.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• The CafeMom Military Moms group has lots of support for military wives

Answer by rkoloms at 10:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2011