How can I get my 9 month old to sleep all night?

Or even 4 hour stretches I would give my soul for. It's been since I was 6 months pregnant since I've gotten a decent nights sleep. I'm the sole person that gets up with her at night, so im seriously losing my mind. She wont sleep more than an hour or 2 on her own. She will sleep longer if she sleeps on me, in the chair, but even bringing her in the bed with me isn't getting her to sleep. She will wake up hourly, JUST TO WHINE!! I can't take it anymore. I've honestly started considering Benedryl to get her to sleep!! (havent yet, but ive tried every 'natural' solution in the book. I go through all the 'fed, diaper, temp, teeth, etc motions at least 6 times a night. I am at a loss with how to regain any shred of my sanity back. PLEASE HELP!!!

cecil119

Asked by cecil119 at 12:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just asked a question about my 8 month old like this and I was told its a growth spurt and they want to eat more and if they are teething we should offer some medicine and the nurse also told me that i should give him some cereal and then a bottle before bed and I am going to try it tonight to see what happens good luck to you because your question is identical to mine.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 1:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I asked my doctor about that when my baby was that age, they can be like that for up to a year he said. Mine is 10 months now, but she finally started sleeping through the night @ around 8 months. So I guess it just depends on the baby.
    Pixie81

Answer by Pixie81 at 1:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• christina...Mine's been going on for the last month now though. I feed her twice or more a night, also change her diaper at least once a night (as needed, of course) give her meds for pain (if she seems in pain, not every time she wakes up) Mine eats a jar of baby food, rice rusks/puff snacks and gets nursed before bed. She also has a 'routine' music/singing and rocking we do. I've literally tried every suggestion. I try cio too, but i can't last more than 10 minutes of that without giving in. Idk, should i try to CIO more and if so, how do i get over feeling like im abandoning her? It's getting to the point where I'm ending up crying nightly right along with her. I feel useless as a mother! I even keep a '20 ways to get your baby to stop crying and sleep' list hanging right where I rock her, at my desk...tried burning calming insense, using aromatherapy.. nature/rain sounds cd, lullabies, 'shh' noises'...Im literally at a los
    cecil119

Comment by cecil119 (original poster) at 1:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It's tough but my niece finally had to let the baby cry. She decided she would not go into the room unless it was after 4 hours or more. Her baby had been sleeping for long stretches but then started waking like you describe. She bought some ear plugs and toughed it out. It took 3 nights and the crying became less and less each night. Continue with your consistent sleeptime routine when it is time for bed. Make sure it is the same everytime. And know you can do this!! GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• YOU cannot. She has to do that on her own. Sorry, but it's developmental and you cannot force it any more than you can force her eyes to be a certain color.

BTDT with CIO... for one whole WEEK... and slept even less. What DID help? Abandoning what I thought SHOULD be and paying attention to my son's individual sleepy time. When I did that... he slept four hours. He's never slept eight straight... but then, neither have I unless I was really sick. Normal humans wake 2-3 times a night.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• HUGS FOR YOU. I don't have an answer for you because my daughter didn't start sleeping all night long until she was 13 months. I feel your pain.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 5:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2011