What age did you start using consequences and time-outs?

Just wondering cause my son is 14 months and I know that is too young for punishment but he is getting to me. Redirection and distraction only works for so long. What age and how did you start introducing these? Thanks.

CalebsMommy0220

Asked by CalebsMommy0220 at 1:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Be firm and consistent as to what is allowed and what isn't. No need for hitting. We always took away THE most important thing to the child for awhile as punishment. Even with the 18 month old I take care of, all I have to say is "all done with such and such if you do that" and he stops immediately. He understands completely what I am saying. You might want to browse a good bookstore for some child development books and look them over for appropriate discipline techniques.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• As soon as they understand the word NO.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I started using time outs when my daughters learned what no meant. I made sure she fully understood no before I started any kind of punishments.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 1:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Thanks guys. What kind of punishments did you use? How did you ease them in?
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 1:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I started with firm but not hard pats on the hand if they reached for anything that they didn't need to have. Not enough to hurt them but enough to get their attention. And also a smack on the diaper helps to. Not enough to hurt but the sound gets their attention. Can't be to hard cause they are still learning.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 2:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• about age 1. we did time outs, nap time, and a swat on the hand fo being mean!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My son is well behaved but he also is only 14 months old. I don't know if he would understand a timeout. I can always try.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2011