Super dumb questions of the day!!

So this morning I went pee...cause you do that alot when your pregnant. Then about two or three foot steps out of the bathroom I felt a kinda gush...or something like ALOT of discharge. BUT it was a clear fluid...and had a funny smell to it. Nothing I have smelled before. Anyways since that has happen this morning I havent had anymore of the gushing but have just been really wet. I have been having some cramping but nothing timed or anything. Baby is really active and moving like a fool. So pretty much my question is can your water break with out you having any contractions or anything!?!? Im 36wks.

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Amniotic fluid should not have a smell to it.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 7:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Yes. My husband's aunt's water breaking was a slow leak. By the time she started having contractions, she was just about out of fluid.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• it shouldnt smell if it was your water...... um i might go get checked out if your still cramping!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Sounds like yours broke. Call your doctor!
    Anonymous

• If this happend this morning and your outta fluid thats not good at all!!!! CALL YOUR DR
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• This happened with my pregnancy with my daughter. My water broke, then became a slow leak for awhile. I couldn't get any "good" contractions going unless I walked and walked all around the neighborhood. But the minute I stopped, so would the contractions. I started "real labor" 25 hours AFTER my gush......no problems delivering. My "real labor" lasted 5 hours and I delivered a very healthy 7 pound 15 ounce girls...19 inches long.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• amniotic fluid is not supposed to have a smell to it....but would def be getting to the drs!
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• When my water broke i didn't have any contractions. i had to be induced
    blondie09

Answer by blondie09 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• ok all these moms dont know what they are talking about i was in a child birth class LAST NIGHT and the nurse said it smells funky when your water breaks so the amniotic fulid DOES smell! she said that is how you know you just didnt pee your self but most drs want the baby OUT by 24 hours after your water breaks and yes you can break it and have no contractions my friend did at i think 32 weeks and was admited and given shots to help the baby until she could have it ( only a few days later) call your dr and head to the hospital!
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It does sound like your water broke. Seems a little early to be going into labor, so I would suggest that you call your doctor and talk to them. They will want to see you most likely. Best of luck! :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2008