Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What are my rights if social services...........

I would like to know what are my rights reguarding social services when some calls them on me but has never been in my home. or that fact that we only pass eachother outside since we live in the same apartment.. can i say no to letting them in because its a false report or what can i do..

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (15)
  • you can request a warrant....... BUT it's often better to let them in. show a clean house, food in fridge, a child in clean clothes with a bed and a few toys.

    it's highly unlikely they'll come, though, from like a lame neighbor complaint. They might call you, possibly send a letter. they are BUSY and usually good at weeding out domestic neighborly drama.

    Answer by hibbingmom at 3:23 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • That wouldn't be a good idea. That's like saying to the cops, no, sorry, I won't answer your questions because the person who accused me of shoplifting doesn't know me... You might be innocent, and the report might be false, but you can't refuse to allow them to investigate.

    Now, that isn't to say that you can't contact a lawyer or whatever about your rights while they investigate, but no, you can't say "I don't know the person who complained, so I'm not letting you in."

    Sorry :-(

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • you always have the right to say NO! but you should be prepared for them to come back again and again and again, and yes eventually with a warrant if needed. They have a legal obligation to investigate all claims regarding child welfare, and I for one am glad they do!

    Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • well it sucks cuz i had to call the apartment manger on them becuse they were too loud . these people scared my daughter awake and woke my son up. then the manger told them who called and this guy came outside and just started going off on me and said hes calling social services on me..

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • plus this guy is a minister elike i know we are all human but he said some really hurtful things. arent you suppose to practice what you preach to others.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • im glaud to that social service does that but i just dont want them here in my home

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Honestly, for something like that, if they do call and they do come out, they're going to ask you a couple of questions, they're going to see a normal house with normal kids (you don't have to worry about it being spotless, because of course you're probably not going to know they were coming). When you explain that you recently complained about a neighbor being too loud and they said they were going to retaliate by filing a charge against you, so...

    Odds are, they're going to drop it after about 5 minutes. I wouldn't worry about it. And yes, it does sound like your neighbor is being pretty cruddy, and he should be setting a better example!

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Why keep them out. Show them that this is just a problem neighbor. Prove your neighbor a joke and that your children are well taken care of.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 4:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • bump

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • you can not refuse social services in your home once a complaint has been filed. I know here in Florida, they have to check in on every case the get a call about many times the case is closed when the investigator sees that nothing is wrong. Now, knowing it is a false report what you need to do is calmly and polietly tell the social worker you know who called, this is how you know, these people do not know you, and have no reason to be calling on you. There are laws against falsely reporting, I would let them know (once they tell you they are happy and everything is good) that you want charge filed against the person filing the complaint, it is not right or fair for you to have to just "deal with it"

    Answer by mommie2twogirls at 5:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.